Skip to main content

Veeam server collecting too many files in the Index\Machines folder. The issue is with only VM . The retention period is 20 restore points , but seeing more than 20 folders with different dates. We are using  Enterprise manager . Tried deleting old  folders from the index folder for this machine and monitored , but still seeing more than 20 folders. I think retention is not working. Please advise. 

Hi Nikks, 

What type of retention policy do you have?

Additionally, what type of backups are you running? Forever incremental? Are you able to give us more information?

Retention of indexes is controlled in Enterprise Manager settings (Settings Menu, Tab “Session History”), it is usually different from the retention configured in the backup jobs.

Retention of indexes is controlled in Enterprise Manager settings (Settings Menu, Tab “Session History”), it is usually different from the retention configured in the backup jobs.

Agree with Matt as that is a setting in VEM.  Check there and reduce the retention.

Here - https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backup/em/current_hist_indexing_data.html?ver=120

It is 18 months

It is 18 months

This is for session history .Will it count for index/machine / machinname folder count ? Also the issue is not happening for all other machines inside index/machine 

It is 18 months

This would be the reason for the number of folders - yes to your question.

It is 18 months

Thanks. But it is showing more folders for only one VM .That is what confusing me.

It is 18 months

Thanks. But it is showing more folders for only one VM .That is what confusing me.

That setting in the screenshot controls the Index retention which is what you are seeing.  Was there a question to your reply/quote?  I did not see anything.

It is 18 months

That setting in the screenshot controls the Index retention which is what you are seeing.  Was there a question to your reply/quote?  I did not see anything.

MattM mentioned about it

NikksAuthor2 hours ago

MattM wrote:

It is 18 months

MattM mentioned about it

NikksAuthor2 hours ago

MattM wrote:

Ok so does that answer your question then?

It is 18 months

MattM mentioned about it

NikksAuthor2 hours ago

MattM wrote:

will this modification impact backup jobs with longer retention policy?

It is 18 months

MattM mentioned about it

NikksAuthor2 hours ago

MattM wrote:

will this modification impact backup jobs with longer retention policy?

It should not as it is for indexing and the retention for that.  Job retention is different from index retention.

Comment