Solved

Implementation of veeam master slave

• 22 January 2024
  • 4 comments

There are two cores in the network.It is necessary to implement veeam availability in case of failure of one of them.The Windows cluster is not suitable. Because you cannot implement fault-tolerant shared storage.Option 1Two veeam servers, one is on, the other is off. If the master server fails, turn on the slave server and restore the necessary virtual machines. (it is unclear if the veeam subordinate server will see the backup storage)Option 2is mysql replication.There will be no copy jobs in the first veeam. It will only be used to restore virtual machines.What problems might arise?How can this be implemented in another way?
icon

Best answer by Moustafa_Hindawi 22 January 2024, 09:18

View original

4 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hello @bulgan 

To implement HA Veeam Backup server, is not applicable, what you need to do is, create a VM with Veeam Backup server installed but offline. once you have a disaster, you will use Veeam native configuration backup and restore tool, to migrate the configuration.

All what you need is here:

Veeam Backup & Replication Configuration Database - User Guide for VMware vSphere

You don’t need to replication the DB, by Veeam Configuration backup tool, you can backup and restore the DB and configuration.

Another option is, to have a centralized DB MSSQL or PostgreSQL, so, you can connect your Slave VBR to it.

Regarding the backup storage, once you restore the configuration, all your setting and setup will be as it. In case of Veeam Repo server is down or you need to reconnect your storage to another one, all what you need is to scan the storage via Veeam, and everything is ok.

Rescanning Backup Repositories - User Guide for VMware vSphere (veeam.com)

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Best practice is that you have a shared SQL server or PostgreSQL server.  This way the DB is centralized and any server can access the DB. As noted you restore the configuration backup to the secondary VBR server to get the environment back up.  Once that is done you can rescan the storage repository and it will add the backups to the Veeam console for access.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

We’ve used replicating the VBR server in the past with success.

Or use the Veeam file copy feature to copy your config backups to a location that’s accessible by your standby server.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

I think it best to have more than 1 way to do a restore….a backup to your backup strategy 🙂 The cleanest way, and the recommended way by Veeam, is just making sure your VBR server backs its config DB up to some offsite, but accessible storage location to the DR/site 2 location. Then, in the event of corruption or your main VBR server goes down, create a new VM, install the version of Veeam you’re running, then peform the DB migration steps Moustafa shared. 

Another option I tend to do, and have in place for some reason opt1 doesn’t work, is I Replicate my main VBR server to a DR location. If I need it, I’ll power it on in the event I can’t recover in option 1. This is last resort though as jobs/settings could be off.

Comment