Solved

immutable backups to azure

Userlevel 2
  • New Here
  • 2 comments

we currently use azure as object storage and would like to achieve immutability on the backups.

veeam does not support “out of the box” immutability to azure. i would like to know if any of these would work or if anyone has better ideas.

1. Immutable blob storage on folder level
  2. Enable soft delete for blobs (or container)
  3. Enable versioning for blobs (or container)
  4. Enable point-in-time restore for containers
  5. setup Object replication in azure for the storage account 

thanks

icon

Best answer by Mildur 26 July 2021, 18:48

View original

12 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

At the moment, it looks like it could be supported with V12 next year. 

https://forums.veeam.com/post423304.html#p423304

Manually doing something in Azure is not supported. Veeam needs to work with the objects. veeam would not be aware of your rules.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

At the moment, it looks like it could be supported with V12 next year. 

https://forums.veeam.com/post423304.html#p423304

Manually doing something in Azure is not supported. Veeam needs to work with the objects. veeam would not be aware of your rules.

100% this. Veeam needs to support blobs not being modifiable, whether in a traditional modify sense or in the way of deleting no longer required blocks.

At present look at S3 or S3 compatible immutable storage or a Veeam Cloud Connect provider. But once Microsoft make all of the functionality publicly available Veeam will add support, hence its estimated for Veeam v12.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

I’m waiting for this feature on Azure too.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hi @yls , at the VEEAM ON 2021, I have asked this. And Microsoft is almost ready with this, by my knowledge Veeam is already testing this functionality. And as @Mildur already mentioned, will be probably available at version 12 or beginning next year.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

I’m also waiting for the Azure Immutability support from Veeam and as @Mildur says we’ll still have to wait some time. Keep in mind that you will have to start with a fresh object storage, as it won’t be possible to just switch immutability on at an existing object storage or migrate the data.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

I’m also waiting for the Azure Immutability support from Veeam and as @Mildur says we’ll still have to wait some time. Keep in mind that you will have to start with a fresh object storage, as it won’t be possible to just switch immutability on at an existing object storage or migrate the data.

Yes this is a good point about starting fresh and something to consider when it does come.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

The chances are good to see immutability support for Azure blob in V12. We'll just have to hope that everything goes well and Microsoft does implement the necessary changes by then.

More details are in the current forums digest or here in this post: https://forums.veeam.com/object-storage-f52/immutable-backup-on-azure-t64660-60.html#p434280

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

The chances are good to see immutability support for Azure blob in V12. We'll just have to hope that everything goes well and Microsoft does implement the necessary changes by then.

More details are in the current forums digest or here in this post: https://forums.veeam.com/object-storage-f52/immutable-backup-on-azure-t64660-60.html#p434280

Was reading that on the digest this morning, I’m cautiously optimistic!

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Also this morning the Word from Gostev indicated the changes were made by MS and it looks like they will squeeze this in to v12.  Some good news. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Also this morning the Word from Gostev indicated the changes were made by MS and it looks like they will squeeze this in to v12.  Some good news. 

Well Anton says it's in private preview, so I think it will still take some time for MS to finalize it.

we currently use azure as object storage and would like to achieve immutability on the backups.

veeam does not support “out of the box” immutability to azure. i would like to know if any of these would work or if anyone has better ideas.

1. Immutable blob storage on folder level
  2. Enable soft delete for blobs (or container)
  3. Enable versioning for blobs (or container)
  4. Enable point-in-time restore for containers
  5. setup Object replication in azure for the storage account 

thanks

The azure immutability will be a plus! But digging a bit, azure storage for backups is quite expensive, isn’t it? In my personal point of view, I would store my stuff in a storage provider integrated with Veeam and with the immutability option.

I used like this as a DR storage, not to spin up machines, just as a remote repo with cool features.

hope it helps.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Apologies for reviving an old topic, this topic is the first Community Hub search result in Google for Azure & Immutability, I just wanted to highlight that this feature did become available in VBR v12 for anyone else that comes across it.

Comment