I did it!

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Due to other things pending the outcome of our V12 testing, I figured I’d just update V12 in production :)

Worked great, no issues, my backup speeds actually look fantastic too. Still on SQL, most likely going to migrate to full blown SQL servers this week as we have enterprise licenses. I don’t think there are any advantages to postgres, but I could be wrong.

The new license for file to tape is what I am currently investigating as we archive a ton of data and don’t want any surprises. 

7 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Congrats.  The one major thing I can think of for Postgres is moving away from MS Licenses which is a big benefit to those companies that cannot afford this.  I am pretty sure there are other advantages over SQL as well so will need to look them up now.  😋

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Well our hosts are licensed, so as far as cost it’s the same either way.

I could implement always on, but that seems like a pain, I’d rather just export the config, or put Veeam in SRM 

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Well our hosts are licensed, so as far as cost it’s the same either way.

I could implement always on, but that seems like a pain, I’d rather just export the config, or put Veeam in SRM 

Well then, no real need to move to Postgres.  I guess it will come down to choice of what people want to do as they now have the freedom to move away from SQL to another option.  😎

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Looking forward to retire the SQL server. So far the tests with PostgreSQL are very positive.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Congratz, thank you for your feedback!

I will do the update probably next week, i will stay in MSSQL for a while.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

I’m going to have my database team just create me a SQL server for Veeam, VeeamONE and Enterprise manager.

To me it sounds like this

Fresh install, PostgreSQL for average installs.

If you are going to have workloads under about 400 and not too much extra tasks running such as a ton of tape, replicas, copy jobs. SQL express is fine, but you might as well use PostgreSQL

Large environments, AlwaysON environments, etc. or if you have enterprise host licensing, full blown SQL is still the best option currently, at a price.

So far my V12 in production has had no issues at all, other than the virtual lab which i need to create but I found the bug on the forums with IPv6 and enabling it seemed to fix that issue. I also have to recreate the lab after copying down all my settings as it doesn’t seem compatible after the upgrade. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

I won’t be doing my upgrade for a little while. But, am looking forward to some of the new features when I do!

Comment