Solved

how to move virtual veeam to physical server

Userlevel 4
  • Comes here often
  • 9 comments

Hi Guys, 

lot of my customer has Veeam as virtual machine in VMware and using the virutal disk as repostitory (.vdmk), in my opinion - its old concept. One of my customer has new Storage Array and Physical backup server. The storage is direct connected to backup server via 10 GbE iSCSI. 

Is there some steps how to migrate virtual veeam (also with backup repository) to brand new physical HW ? 

Thx.

Tomas

icon

Best answer by Chris.Childerhose 26 July 2023, 15:30

View original

10 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

The way to migrate would be to first, take a current backup of your Veeam configuration DB on the virtual server it’s on, and stop/disable all jobs. Then, install the Windows OS on the physical server and configure it. Install Veeam on the physical server. Then, restore the configuration DB on the physical server. Follow the steps in the User Guide here.

Userlevel 4

yeah i know the procedure how to migrate config. but how about the data ? 
the repository is on .vmdk disk, wich is not accessibe from physical server so i cannot use move function in vbr12. I think that only way is manually copy the restore points to new physical server and import it. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Ah, ok...I see. Well, you could create a new VM; remove the VMDK with the backups from the VBR VM; attach the VMDK with the backups to the new VM (DO NOT FORMAT IT...and you shouldn’t need to); then add the new VM to the new VBR physical server as a Managed Server, then add it as a Repo and select to ‘scan for backups’.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

As per Shane above but be sure to first disable/stop jobs before the configuration backup as that is what Veeam typically recommends.  If you need to move the data from the VMDK file, you will require copying it over to the new physical box once you attach the new storage via iSCSI.  Keep in mind if the VM is using ReFS for the backup drive you will need lots of space moving the data over.

I would suggest leaving the VM and let the data age out and keep it only for restoring, then start net new on the new server.

Userlevel 4

Ah, ok...I see. Well, you could create a new VM; remove the VMDK with the backups from the VBR VM; attach the VMDK with the backups to the new VM (DO NOT FORMAT IT...and you shouldn’t need to); then add the new VM to the new VBR physical server as a Managed Server, then add it as a Repo and select to ‘scan for backups’.

and after i can use the move-backup from “managed servers” to new physical storage array ? :) 

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

and after i can use the move-backup from “managed servers” to new physical storage array ? :) 

You can but since your new backup server is physical you cannot attach VMDK files to it as that is VMware related.  Copying the data over would be the way forward or like I mentioned leave it and start new.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Sorry...on a call.. Yes, if you’re wanting to move backups over to the physical server as well, Chris is correct; you obviously can’t connect VMDKs to the physical server.

Userlevel 4

yes i know about his limitation. so there is only 2 ways. 

1. manually copy the restore points (for example via - robocopy) and if customer need the restore, import the restore point in new VBR console. 
  2. run new VBR, and with VM - wait for the data age out in
Userlevel 7
Badge +20

yes i know about his limitation. so there is only 2 ways. 

1. manually copy the restore points (for example via - robocopy) and if customer need the restore, import the restore point in new VBR console. 
  2. run new VBR, and with VM - wait for the data age out in

Yes, that is correct for the options you have.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

I suspect there is also a way to do it with VeeaMover.  Have both the old and new repository on whichever server makes sense, and the move it.  But honestly, I’d just migrate the configuration (with the jobs stopped), copy the backup data to the new repo, rescan/scan the repo, and then map the backup job to the newly found data.  This should keep the existing backup chains, vs having to start new.

Comment