Skip to main content

I asked this in the Veeam forums, I figure I ask here as well:

I have Veeam B&R server1, with a SOBR repo, the capacity extend going to Azure. i have a Veeam B&R server 2, with a SOBR repo, with the capacity tier going to Wasabi.

What is the best way of getting the backups going to Azure on Veeam server 1 to Wasabi on Veeam server 2? Goal is to eventually decommission server 1.

I can recreate the backup and backup copy jobs on server 2, so then point forward, it will use Wasabi. But how will I get the existing historical backups in Azure on server 1 to Wasabi on Veeam server 2?

We can use Wasabi Cloud Sync Manager to Migrate the data from Azure to Wasabi and then relink the with the SOBR - happy to help with this

We can use Wasabi Cloud Sync Manager to Migrate the data from Azure to Wasabi and then relink the with the SOBR - happy to help with this

I think I would take Wasabi up on this as it would probably be a better way to move the data.  I am sure Veeam can move it but there is more involved moving it back to Performance Tier then offloading again.

Does that work with Azure? On the Wasabi website I only saw migration from AWS S3: https://docs.wasabi.com/docs/migrate-veeam-v12-backup-copy-job-from-aws-s3-to-wasabi-using-wcsm

It also says it is a paid service to use this?

I was looking at this doc: https://docs.wasabi.com/docs/how-do-i-migrate-veeam-v12-backups-from-microsoft-azure-blob-to-wasabi

Which… seems simple enough but I would do this on Veeam server 1 until I move all backups to Wasabi and then migrate the SOBR to Veeam server 2?

We can move data from any S3 service using WCSM but yes there is a charge to do this currently.

Your last comment is I think the way I would do it

This is new information to me.  I’m onboarding a client next month where, details are still a bit sketchy, but I believe I’m going to need to migrate their data from Backblaze B2 into a Wasabi bucket.  It would be nice to be able to retain all of that data and also to not have to download it all back into the performance tier to copy it all back up into capacity.

WCSM is currently a service run by the Wasabi Support team - We can connect to alot of internet facing S3 providers and migrate the data to Wasabi - If you are coming from a hyperviser there will be egress and API charged from them (we cannot get round this) from backblaze I think its included. If you need more information please reach out to me and I can put you in touch with the right SE - neale@wasabi.com  

WCSM is currently a service run by the Wasabi Support team - We can connect to alot of internet facing S3 providers and migrate the data to Wasabi - If you are coming from a hyperviser there will be egress and API charged from them (we cannot get round this) from backblaze I think its included. If you need more information please reach out to me and I can put you in touch with the right SE - neale@wasabi.com  

Thanks...putting this in my back pocket for a couple weeks until we get into the environment and have a few more details!

Just as an FYI to add: I posted this question on the Veeam forums and a Veeam employee responded:

Option 2

DISCLAIMER
I'm mentioning it as an option but according to our QA tests, a lot of things can go wrong using this approach. And since migration will be happening outside VBR management, we will not be able to assist in case of migration issues. Also, this way is not applicable to immutable data.

Direct migration from Azure to Wasabi using 3rd party tools. In this case you will need to re-add performance repos and rescan the whole SOBR.

edit: https://forums.veeam.com/object-storage-as-a-backup-target-f52/how-to-move-backups-between-different-s3-blob-providers-and-different-veeam-b-r-servers-t95562.html

Some of my folks are using SOBR, but many are using copy direct to object.  It looks like in that case, it has to create a new backup/copy chain for those when not using a SOBR.  Which is probably fine.  Appreciate the disclaimer though.

Comment