Solved

How to convert regular repos to hardened and adding them as SOBR extent?

Userlevel 2

Hi Everyone,

I need some guidance on deploying a new hardened backup repository as a SOBR extent. Current we have a customer which uses a regular windows repository as extent doing copy to an Azure blob. We need to move all the content (backup chains) from this Windows repository to the hardened one (using imutability). 

I´m trying to find out the appropriate way to do that. There is only one performance extent (with data locality policy) and we are not able to add the hardened repo because all extents need to have same imutability settings. Cannot evacuate because there is no other extent to evacuate.

How can I accomplish this without having to download metadata or resync data with Azure blobs? Our goal here is to only offload old repo content to the hardened repo and set them as extent copying data to Azure, if possible, doing little to no change on Azure tiers/blobs to avoid costs. 

icon

Best answer by Chris.Childerhose 18 March 2024, 21:11

View original

6 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

You can move backups between repos and once you get everything moved to the new VHR then add that to your SOBR to then offload.

Check here - New in v12: move backups between repositories | Veeam Community Resource Hub

Userlevel 2

Thanks for reply. 

You mean that if all backups chains were moved out from the regular repo I should not expect to see this warning?

My concern is whether this change could trigger a re-seed in Azure blobs or not.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Thanks for reply. 

You mean that if all backups chains were moved out from the regular repo I should not expect to see this warning?

My concern is whether this change could trigger a re-seed in Azure blobs or not.

This is where things get tricky and could potentially cause a re-seed.  If it were me, I would start net new with the VHR as part of a new SOBR.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

I agree with Chris.. New SOBR and VHR

Userlevel 2

To create new SOBR using the new VHR a new container has to be created which will re-seed data anyway, right? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

To create new SOBR using the new VHR a new container has to be created which will re-seed data anyway, right? 

You can try adding the old container and mapping the backups to it.  Not 100% sure as I don’t tend to use Azure.  If that does not work, then it probably will re-seed.

Comment