Solved

how do we calculate number of catalyst required for replication

Userlevel 1

We have total of 700 VM , we are planning to migrate 200 VM in first phase and 500 VM in second phase , we have veeam on front end and HP storeonce 5650 on backend ... I am not sure how to calculate number of catalyst required for total 700 VM for replication between two data centers ...is there a formula for this ..could some one please help

icon

Best answer by Chris.Childerhose 29 July 2021, 19:21

View original

13 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

What specifically do you mean by Catalyst?  Are you referring to Veeam components or storage sizing?  This will help determine how to help out.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Hi,

Few questions to clarify some content:

When you say replication do you actually mean replication or backup copies? As HPE StoreOnce is typically used as a deduplication appliance with Veeam.

This article should help answer some if your questions:

HPE StoreOnce - Veeam Backup Guide for vSphere

Userlevel 1

I have a storeonce in my primary data center and one storeonce in my secondary data center , so veeam will create primary backup copy and will be stored in storeonce in my primary data center , so If I want to replicate the data in my primary storeonce to the storeonce in secondary which is total of 700 VM , how many catalyst do I need to create for the replication , 

Second question is , if I am using storeonce for backup jobs , will one catalyst be enough to manage backup job and catalyst copy job for replication or do we need t have seperate catalyst 

What is the procedure for having offsite backup copy using veeam on front end and HPstoreonce on backend as repository .

Userlevel 1

We have total of 700 VM , we are planning to migrate 200 VM in first phase and 500 VM in second phase , we have veeam on front end and HP storeonce 5650 on backend ... I am not sure how to calculate number of catalyst required for total 700 VM for replication between two data centers ...is there a formula for this ..could some one please help

I have a storeonce in my primary data center and one storeonce in my secondary data center , so veeam will create primary backup copy and will be stored in storeonce in my primary data center , so If I want to replicate the data in my primary storeonce to the storeonce in secondary which is total of 700 VM , how many catalyst do I need to create for the replication , 

Second question is , if I am using storeonce for backup jobs , will one catalyst be enough to manage backup job and catalyst copy job for replication or do we need t have seperate catalyst 

What is the procedure for having offsite backup copy using veeam on front end and HPstoreonce on backend as repository .

Userlevel 1

What specifically do you mean by Catalyst?  Are you referring to Veeam components or storage sizing?  This will help determine how to help out.

Userlevel 1

Hi,

Few questions to clarify some content:

When you say replication do you actually mean replication or backup copies? As HPE StoreOnce is typically used as a deduplication appliance with Veeam.

This article should help answer some if your questions:

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Here is some documentation from Veeam about HP Storeonce and Backup Copy Jobs -

Creating Backup Copy Jobs for HPE StoreOnce Repositories - Veeam Backup Guide for vSphere --- This might be the one to look at

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

@jorge.delacruz has done some brilliant work on this already that might help, check out:

HPE: How to configure Veeam Backup & Replication with HPE StoreOnce and Catalyst Store - The Blog of Jorge de la Cruz

HPE: How to configure HPE StoreOnce Catalyst Copy in Veeam Backup & Replication v10 - The Blog of Jorge de la Cruz

The second link details exactly how to set up the replication you need :)

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

@jorge.delacruz has done some brilliant work on this already that might help, check out:

HPE: How to configure Veeam Backup & Replication with HPE StoreOnce and Catalyst Store - The Blog of Jorge de la Cruz

HPE: How to configure HPE StoreOnce Catalyst Copy in Veeam Backup & Replication v10 - The Blog of Jorge de la Cruz

The second link details exactly how to set up the replication you need :)

Nice!  I forgot about Jorge’s blogs. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Hey guys,

I had a LinkedIn chat with @Kish004 todayabout his question.

He wants to replicate his primary Veeam repository from one HPE StoreOnce to another with the Catalyst function.

The initial data size is about 350 TB with something around 20 TB changed data each day.

The network bandwidth between the two DCs is 2 Gbit.

I give this information to the community with @Kish004  agreement, because I have personally not much experience with HPE storage. Perhaps one of you can help him with this...

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Hey guys,

I had a LinkedIn chat with @Kish004 todayabout his question.

He wants to replicate his primary Veeam repository from one HPE StoreOnce to another with the Catalyst function.

The initial data size is about 350 TB with something around 20 TB changed data each day.

The network bandwidth between the two DCs is 2 Gbit.

I give this information to the community with @Kish004  agreement, because I have personally not much experience with HPE storage. Perhaps one of you can help him with this...

He reached out to me as well on LinkedIn so will take a look and see. Just got off a work call. 😜

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

He reached out to me as well on LinkedIn so will take a look and see. Just got off a work call. 😜

OK, so now is some new information available about the question and the given environment. :sunglasses:

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

@Kish004 - as per our chat in LinkedIn -

I think the number of Catalysts is subjective.  I would try to divide them out so that not too many are going to only one.  For the primary StoreOnce --  do you have multiple jobs going to the same repo or do you have several repos in the primary HPE storage?  It seems that it is a one-to-one ratio from what I am reading when setting up the Catalyst Copy job as  you select the Source Repo and Destination Repo to copy between.  So if you have say 10 Catalyst Repos on the primary side (70 jobs per or so) then you can create 10 Catalyst Copy jobs to move data over to either the same number on the other side or more/less.  Hope this helps.

I got this by reading Jorge's blog here - https://jorgedelacruz.uk/2020/09/14/hpe-how-to-configure-hpe-storeonce-catalyst-copy-in-veeam-backup-replication-v10/ Since I don't use HPE Catalyst daily but know the storage.

jorgedelacruz.uk • 3 min read

Comment