Question

helper appliance veeam

Userlevel 6
Badge +1
  • Comes here often
  • 35 comments

Hi all, 

I have read about helper appliance in Veeam documentation, is helper appliance will give better performance while we backup to AWS ?

Because, now when I backup to AWS, there is always bottleneck on target, it is around 95% for bottleneck 

13 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

I believe that is true..yes. Those are instances you can deploy according to User Guide . To increase your backup performance, you would deploy them..yes.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi all, 

I have read about helper appliance in Veeam documentation, is helper appliance will give better performance while we backup to AWS ?

Because, now when I backup to AWS, there is always bottleneck on target, it is around 95% for bottleneck 

The helper appliance will only help with the restore process.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Thanks for the clarification @wesmrt . I neglected to put that in my comment. Not for backups...but for restore. 

Do Gateway servers help with backup performance though?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

The gateway could definitly help because is responsible by the connection between Veeam infrastructure and the Cloud.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Hi all, 

The helper appliance will only help with the restore process.

As noted, the helper appliance only helps with restore not backups.  As noted on the documentation page that Shane posted -

Helper appliance is an auxiliary Linux-based EC2 instance. It is used to upload backed-up data to Amazon EC2. Veeam Backup & Replication automatically deploys the helper appliance in Amazon EC2 only for the duration of the restore process and removes it immediately after that.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

The gateway could definitly help because is responsible by the connection between Veeam infrastructure and the Cloud.

Ok, as I thought. Thanks again! 

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

have you ever try backup with helper appliance and without helper appliance, and find out some differences between those or just reading veeam documentation ?

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

have you ever try backup with helper appliance and without helper appliance, and find out some differences between those or just reading veeam documentation ?

As noted above the Helper Appliance is only for restore not backups. 😉

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

You need to implement a Gateway Server @dika , not a helper appliance. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Gateways are somewhat like Proxies for localized backups or copy jobs. If you don't use a Proxy on each end, there is a noticeable difference. Gateways should be the same concept. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

That’s true

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Hi @dika -

I just wanted to follow-up and see if there was additional you were wanting, or if we provided sufficient info for your question?

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Hi @dika -

I again am following up to see if you still have questions about implementing Gateway servers and Appliances. Again, Helper Appliances are only beneficial for Restores. For better backup performance, you’d need to implement Gateway servers. Do you have any further questions? If not, we ask you mark a comment which helped you most as ‘Best Answer’ so others who may see this thread & have the same question can benefit from this post.

Thank you.

Comment