Question

Hard Disk 1 (0 B) 0 B read at 0KB/s [nbd]

Userlevel 5
Badge

Dears,

We’re facing an issue since yesterday that we have a VM on vCenter that we’re trying to take a backup from it using Veeam BR, The VM has 3 disks and dependent as shown in the vCenter VM Settings.

The issue now that we’re facing is that 2 disks of the 3 is backed up successfully and third one is stuck at 0 B 

12 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hello @m.saleh 

What is Veeam Version, vCenter and ESXi versions, VM hardware version?

Userlevel 5
Badge

Hello Mustafa,

Thank you for reaching out quickly.

Veeam version: Veeam Backup and Replication Community Version 12.0.0.1420

vCenter: vSphere Client Version 7.0.3.00500

ESXI: 6.5.0

Host Hardware: Huawei CH121 V5

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

There are more snapshot of this VM present. Is this intended?

This should not be the cause of your problem, but you should consider to consolidate your snapshots.

Userlevel 5
Badge

There are more snapshot of this VM present. Is this intended?

This should not be the cause of your problem, but you should consider to consolidate your snapshots.

Hello sir,

Yea i noticed that but as you said it’s not our issue now. As we face this same stuck issue at the first time and we had to force stop it then we created the backup job again on another Veeam server but it seems the same issue, It cannot read the 1st Disk which is the OS disk.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hello @m.saleh 

Could you please share a screenshot for proxy settings? I would like to know how many concurrent tasks configured.

Also, how many cores and memory for this proxy.

Userlevel 5
Badge

Hello @m.saleh 

Could you please share a screenshot for proxy settings? I would like to know how many concurrent tasks configured.

Also, how many cores and memory for this proxy.

Dear Mustafa,

We’re using only one proxy on the same Veeam server “ The Default VMWare Proxy “ 

The max concurrent tasks are `2` 

the Specs are: 8 cores with 16 gigs of ram 

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Great! could you make sure no backup task is running and make max concurrent 6 and start the backup job. 

Looking forward to your feedback

Userlevel 5
Badge

Great! could you make sure no backup task is running and make max concurrent 6 and start the backup job. 

Looking forward to your feedback

Thank you, Will try again and get back to you with the result.

Userlevel 5
Badge

Dear @Moustafa_Hindawi ,

I stopped the running job, increased the concurrent tasks to be 6, removed pre-created snapshots

and now started the backup job again but i think same issue may happen as the Hard disk 1 still appears 0 B 

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

If you look in C:\ProgramData\Veeam\Backup there will be a log file for the job name - check in there to see if there are any errors or warnings.  Since everything else is green in the job I might suggest opening a support incident to have them check things.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hello @m.saleh 

what is the type of datastore where the VM reside? NFS datastore?

could you please share with us the following settings of this backup job?

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

If you edit the VM and look at the properties, does it show the disk properly there?  Usually when I see a 0B disk, it’s actually a VM issue and not a Veeam issue.  If I recall correctly, I remove the disk from the VM, and then add it back as an existing disk, and once it’s showing correctly, then Veeam can grab the disk for backups.  May or may not have to do some wiggling of snapshots, consolidation, etc.  And I’m certain the VM will need to be offline at the time.  I can’t remember exactly what the root cause has been for this sort of thing for me.

Comment