Question

guest OS credential : only work with administrator account

• 7 November 2023
  • 7 comments

Userlevel 3

Hello

Under hyper-v environment , I’m trying to backup VMs with an other account than the “administrator” one.  So I created a user “veeamadmin” on the domain and enroll this new user in the domain admin and administrators groups (almost the same group as the administrator account)  But I get an unknown error when testing the credential:

2023-11-07 8:10:39 AM Failed Cannot connect to VM [ca040e52-e005-4445-ba0b-16986f0f16be] over PSDirect. Guest Login: [porcs\veeamadmin].;Failed to invoke func [Connect]: Unknown error 0x80131500. Unknown error 0x80131500. Failed to execute PowerShell command: The credential is invalid.;COM error:  Code: 0x80131500

any idea what is the problem ?

7 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Try adding the domain account you created in to the Administrators local group on the Hyper-V box and test.  If that does not work then you may need to turn off UAC in the registry as well.  See here - User Account Control and remote restrictions - Windows Server | Microsoft Learn

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Agree with Chris here. Since the user is made a domain admin user, it should already be in the local Admin group on the Host. But, disable UAC first to see if that works. Also, when testing the credential, make sure you use the proper format: DOMAIN\username , then password

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Are you able to access the Hyper-V and one if it’s VMs with this user? For example via \\hostname\Admin$? If not, maybe you have a security policy or GPO in place, which prevents the user from logging in?

Userlevel 3

Try adding the domain account you created in to the Administrators local group on the Hyper-V box and test.  If that does not work then you may need to turn off UAC in the registry as well.  See here - User Account Control and remote restrictions - Windows Server | Microsoft Learn

Turning off the UAC on the Host Hyper-v or on the guest VM ?

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Turning off the UAC on the Host Hyper-v or on the guest VM ?

The host hyper-v server which is what the connection is being made to.

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

Hello, I see the connection is attempted through Powershell Direct. In order for it to work, you have to use an account belonging to the “Hyper-V Administrators” group (the connection to the VM is “networkless”, over the VMBus of the hypervisor).

I guess it works OK with the default “Administrator” user? You can compare that account’s privileges and group memberships with the ones of the new “veeamadmin” account.

You can easily test Powershell Direct from the Hyper-V host, with the following command: 

Enter-PSSession -VMName <VMName>

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Hi @CABelanger -

I was just following up on your connection post here to see if your issue was resolved? If so, did any of the provided comments help you? If so, we ask you mark one as ‘Best Answer’ so others with a similar issue who come across your post may benefit.

Thank you!

Comment