Solved

Gateway Server deployment

• 17 October 2023
  • 8 comments

Userlevel 4

Hi everyone, I am planning to add new SOBR for existing environment (x2 Hyper-V host actually) connecting to the tape library with simple deployment scenario.

While we plan to add a new HPE StoreOnce to the infrastructure, is it possible to install the gateway server on the host?

Or should it be installed on the backup server? 

icon

Best answer by CarySun 17 October 2023, 07:26

View original

8 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Yes, you can install a gateway on the host. The gateway server must run a 64-bit Microsoft Windows version.

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backup/hyperv/deduplicating_appliance_storeonce.html?ver=120

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Hi, to confirm do you mean on the hyper-v host itself or in a VM on the hyper-v server?

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Yes, you can as stated install the GW component in a VM within the Hyper-V host based on your diagram and the arrow that points to a VM.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Both should work as a gateway server, but Microsoft always recommends not installing any application at the Hyper-V host.

Userlevel 4

Hi, to confirm do you mean on the hyper-v host itself or in a VM on the hyper-v server?

In the VM on Hyper-V 

Userlevel 4

Yes, you can as stated install the GW component in a VM within the Hyper-V host based on your diagram and the arrow that points to a VM.

About this, when you say that it can go as a VM inside a hyper-v, it doesn't matter what host it is, as long as it does its job?

Userlevel 4

About this, when you say that it can go as a VM inside a hyper-v, it doesn't matter what host it is, as long as it does its job?

In my case, I have a similar scenario but I do not use a SOBR but rather a shared folder repository. Does the same idea apply?

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Yes that is correct.

Comment