Solved

File explorer: Access is denied

Userlevel 3

In B&R console I want to browse the contents of a Linux repository.  I go to Files and expand the repository but a message appears “Access is denied.”

The backup and replication jobs which are assigned to the repo work fine and I can rescan the repo so I know the stored credentials are working but I can’t browse the files.

Is it a limitation of the Community edition?

icon

Best answer by NZ_BenThomas 14 January 2024, 23:17

View original

23 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

I just tested it on my end and am able to do so. And, I used single-use credentials (is VHR Repo). I have Ent+ Edition, so it may be. Unless someone else chimes in with a more concrete suggestion/answer, I recommend contacting Support for definitive reason.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

I cannot find anywhere that the CE does not support this feature, but it very well could be a limitation of it.  I can browse as like Shane have ENT+ edition and as suggested I would drop a line to support if you really need to do this.  I am guessing that you will need at least a Standard license for it.

Userlevel 3

Thanks both, in another setup I have a Standard license and can browse so figured it might be a limitation.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

I think somewhere, somehow the issue may not necessarily be with the Edition you’re using, but permissions within the Console.

Userlevel 6
Badge +3

I think somewhere, somehow the issue may not necessarily be with the Edition you’re using, but permissions within the Console.

Yeah, in v12.1 there is a note in the “what’s new” document about changes to permissions for accessing the “files” tab.

Extract from Veeam B&R What’s New document showing changes to Files tab

If you are a Backup Administrator role on the VBR instance that’s having the issue, then it’s possible it’s a side effect of this change for Community Edition, and raising it with Support is a good way to confirm (and possibly get it changed in a future hotfix)

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Good point Ben. I remembered that, but didn’t bring it up because I couldn’t remember how it worked exactly. If memory serves from the Summit session, I think the access works to where non-admins don’t even see the Files node. Since this was an access denied issue while in the node, I thought it may be permissions-based with the server Repo in question.

Userlevel 3

Thanks for your responses.

The console login user (Administrator using Windows Auth) is part of the Backup Administrators group so that shouldn’t be the issue.

I created a support case but after a week I got an email saying they are understaffed and couldn’t look at the issue.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hi, there is no limitation for Linux file-level and item-level recovery. For the Veeam Explorers, Community Edition has limitations.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

@Tippers - may be worth posting in the Forum with your case ID. I know you case is closed, but the Forum requires it. Maybe a PM can share if viewing directories/trees in the Files node has access limitations with the CE edition. BTW...do you have a Windows system you can access? Just wondering if this behavior is just for Linux or for both Win and Lnx. If only Lnx, I think my suggested cause is accurate...a Lnx permission issue somewhere. If both Win & Lnx have browsing issue, then more than likely a CE limitation of some sort.

@leduardoserrano - the poster isn’t having an issue with item-level recovery, but with accessing a directory tree in the VBR Console Files node 😊

Userlevel 3

Thanks @coolsport00 

The case ID is 07087399.

The only Windows system is the local backup server installation which I can access.  There are two Linux systems, one proxy and one repo both of which return “Access is denied”.

If it is a permission issue, wouldn’t the backup jobs fail too as both are using the stored credentials?

I may be wrong but I think this worked in a previous version (11) but doesn’t work since I upgraded to v12.1. I’m not sure on that though!

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Thanks @coolsport00 

The case ID is 07087399.

The only Windows system is the local backup server installation which I can access.  There are two Linux systems, one proxy and one repo both of which return “Access is denied”.

If it is a permission issue, wouldn’t the backup jobs fail too as both are using the stored credentials?

I may be wrong but I think this worked in a previous version (11) but doesn’t work since I upgraded to v12.1. I’m not sure on that though!

Post this case number and issue here - https://forums.veeam.com

This is what Shane was referring to.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Ok, so even though the Windows server is the Veeam one, you can access it. The fact you can’t do so for your Lnx devices makes me think there’s a permissions issue with those servers. The only other ‘permissions-level’ issue with regards to v12.1, was access to this node for non-admins, which that isn’t the case here.

As you tend to add Lnx servers as Managed Servers with a certain acct, and Veeam uses this acct to connect to the Transport service to then perform backup processing...yes, my guess is your backups would fail. Maybe that particular acct doesn’t have access to the directories you’re attempting to browse though. SSH your Lnx system and run a ls -l cmd to see what user/group permissions are on the tree you’re attempting to view. May need to add that user as access to those directories.

BTW...as Chris shared, the case ID here isn’t required. I suggested to create a post on the Forums with it. You’ll need it there 🙂

Userlevel 3

The Windows machine is local though, not remote, but I can browse the files.

When I list the current directory there is nothing in it but if I move up a couple of levels to the root and run the command all permissions are set to root but I’m using a different account name.

I followed this article to set it up Installing Ubuntu Linux Server - User Guide for VMware vSphere (veeam.com) but didn’t follow the post installation steps to harden it.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Then therein lies your issue. Root has access, but not the account you’re using. I’m pretty sure that’s it. If the account you’re using is in sudoers though...it should be able to view the tree.

Userlevel 3

Thanks @coolsport00 

The case ID is 07087399.

Post this case number and issue here - https://forums.veeam.com

This is what Shane was referring to.

Thanks, I’ve posted there.

Before I started this thread, I sought out the forums.veeam.com URL but the tagline at the top is “Your direct line to Veeam R&D. Not a support forum!” which is why I didn’t post there in the first place.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Then therein lies your issue. Root has access, but not the account you’re using. I’m pretty sure that’s it. If the account you’re using is in sudoers though...it should be able to view the tree.

The problem is if he followed the posted URL then the last step is to remove the user from the SUDO group. 😉

Either way it is permissions by the sounds of it.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

“Your direct line to Veeam R&D. Not a support forum!” ← THAT IS CORRECT! Don’t expect to get support there. And don’t post for support things. I mean..if you have a case for some issue, you may be able to get a “little” support..like, maybe your issue is a “bug” in the product; but that isn’t really what it’s for. This site isn’t really a support site either. We can suggest things, but we aren’t actual support either. We’re users just like you 😊

Userlevel 3

The problem is if he followed the posted URL then the last step is to remove the user from the SUDO group. 😉

But I didn’t follow the last step (in Post-Installation) so the account is still in the sudoers group. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

But I didn’t follow the last step (in Post-Installation) so the account is still in the sudoers group. 

Ok then if that is the case then it should work based on everything noted.  If you run CHMOD to add the user with just read permissions does it work?

Userlevel 3

“Your direct line to Veeam R&D. Not a support forum!” ← THAT IS CORRECT! Don’t expect to get support there. And don’t post for support things. I mean..if you have a case for some issue, you may be able to get a “little” support..like, maybe your issue is a “bug” in the product; but that isn’t really what it’s for. This site isn’t really a support site either. We can suggest things, but we aren’t actual support either. We’re users just like you 😊

Mmm 🙃 sounds rather confusing to me and looking at some of the topics on the Forums site to other users too.

I’m grateful for the help I’ve received here and I understand using the CE means no support but I thought this issue is either a bug or an intentional limitation in the version.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

I just tested on my lnx system directly and non-root can browse the directory tree as “other” has read access (rwxr-xr-x), so I was incorrect there. But, anywhere where the permissions are for a specific user and only that user has permissions (rwx------), then you would get ‘access denied’ there.

So, if all that is good, then I’m at a loss. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Userlevel 3

Thanks for checking. In another company setup I have access to with a Standard licence, the permissions are the same on the root of the machine and I can browse.

I’ll wait to see what I hear from Forums.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Thanks for checking. In another company setup I have access to with a Standard licence, the permissions are the same on the root of the machine and I can browse.

I’ll wait to see what I hear from Forums.

Hopefully you will get some direction to explain things and post back here so everyone will know. 😁

Comment