Solved

File backup (copy) rotated drivers

• 20 October 2023
  • 7 comments

Userlevel 1
  • New Here
  • 0 comments

Hello,

I have a backup job (file backup) that is stored in a repository with rotating disks
When i try to restoring a file it tells me that it cannot find the backup

What is the correct method of restoring files in a repository with rotating disks?

Thanks

icon

Best answer by coolsport00 17 February 2024, 20:21

View original

7 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Hi @mpr - it appears NAS Backup does not support rotated drives. See here

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

And here the Guide shares about requirements for NAS Repos.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

As per Shane above check those links for requirements.  Nice catch @coolsport00 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Chris - I faintly remembered this limitation, but had to look it up to be sure 😊

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Chris - I faintly remembered this limitation, but had to look it up to be sure 😊

I would have been the same looking it up.  😋

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Hi @mpr -

I was just following up on your rotated drives question here...did any of the comments help answer your question? It appears what you need to do moving forward is to use another medium to place your backups on. If any of the provided comments helped answer your question, we ask you mark which one as ‘Best Answer’ so those with a similar question who come across your post may benefit.

Thank you!

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Hi @mpr -

I actually want to update my comments above, which appear to be somewhat inaccurate. You *can* use rotated drives for NAS Repos, as shown in the Guide here, but you can’t use rotated drives for NAS Archive Repos. You can use them as standard (regular) Repos for NAS. I think what I saw initially was NFS supportability, but read NFS as NAS. Rotated drives are not supported for NFS Repos.

Were you able to get your file(s) restored? The only suggeestion I can think of for the restore error you have is you didn’t have the drive with the needed file (.vbm [metadata] or .vbk/.vib [backup] files) in your bay. Do you still need assistance?

Apologies for my above error.

Comment