Solved

Failed to index guest file system. VSSControl - window server 2016 backup job

Userlevel 4

I have backup job on one of my VM windows server 2016 . I set up backup job and it show this warning and completed with an warning, 

6/7/2023 2:04:27 AM :: Failed to index guest file system. VSSControl: Index failed Details: vss::CVeeamIndexingProvider::NetTryCompleteIndex. Failed to complete guest file system indexing in network mode.

checked the  have the Enable Guest File System Indexing in the backup job configuration setting.

can you help me solve this problem with suggstion
thanks​​​​​​​

icon

Best answer by haslund 8 June 2023, 10:58

View original

8 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Sounds like maybe there is insufficient disk space in the guest to perform the indexing? Try increasing the disk capacity or freeing up enough space to have 1-2 GB of free space on each drive.

Userlevel 4

@haslund Thank you for your suggestion, but I have about  2.61 TB   free space on the disc that I used for storage, I think the disc space might not be problem.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Sorry I was unclear, I didn’t mean the backup repository but rather the virtual disks of the virtual machine you are backing up.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Do the logs tell you any more?  Located here - C:\ProgramData\Veeam\Backup

Userlevel 4

@haslund Thank you much for yor reply againn, Yes it looks like the problem is here in VM disks. I have thre vHDD and one of that is corrupted and cannot be accesses. that might cause problem, I will fix this and check again. Thanks
@Chris.Childerhose you are right,  I will also check if I found log, now cannot locate in both C:\Program Files\Veeam   & 
C:\Program Files (x86)\Veeam

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

@haslund Thank you much for yor reply againn, Yes it looks like the problem is here in VM disks. I have thre vHDD and one of that is corrupted and cannot be accesses. that might cause problem, I will fix this and check again. Thanks
@Chris.Childerhose you are right,  I will also check if I found log, now cannot locate in both C:\Program Files\Veeam   & 
C:\Program Files (x86)\Veeam

Definitely that E drive could possibly cause the issue with the backup throwing the message.  Hopefully that fixes it for you.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Kind reminder to mark an answer as the best answer if your question has been resolved. If not, could you update us what the current status is?

Userlevel 4

@haslund thanks for reminding me that, I did it now, and  it was best answer :) 

Comment