Solved

Failed to connect to Veeam

Userlevel 1

Hey!

I would like to test Veeam Backup & replication 12 to see if we want to use the software. This is the free version

Now, unfortunately, I already have problems with the installation. When I try to work with the localhost, I get the following error message:

To rule out a firewall problem, I've disabled them. Unfortunately, to no avail.

I tried a local user as well as a domain user. Both are in the Administrators group.

Die Dienste laufen auch alle:

(But I only have these four).

Does anyone have an idea what it could be based on?

About the server: It is a virtual machine that runs in VSphere.

Best

Manuel

icon

Best answer by Chris.Childerhose 29 April 2024, 15:56

View original

15 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Hi @Manuel2022 -

Did you logon with a user? You should be able to logon with anyone in the local Administrators group (i.e. a local admin or domain admins).

But, after install, you have to wait for the Veeam Backup Service to start. See if it is started, then attempt to logon. Make sure to logon with the username format of: DOMAIN\username or HOSTNAME\username, then provide the password.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Also, have a look here and see if the account you are logging on is part of the right group if you re using an account that does not have admin permissions. 

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backup/vsphere/configuring_users.html?ver=120

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Are the services running @Manuel2022? This includes the Db service and the Veeam Backup service as well. Also, do not forget to check the button “Use Windows Session Authentication”.

Userlevel 1

Hi @Manuel2022 -

Did you logon with a user? You should be able to logon with anyone in the local Administrators group (i.e. a local admin or domain admins).

But, after install, you have to wait for the Veeam Backup Service to start. See if it is started, then attempt to logon. Make sure to logon with the username format of: DOMAIN\username or HOSTNAME\username, then provide the password.

yes, I've already tried that. The User is “Admin” (it's just for testing purposes) and is in the administrator group (sorry the Server is in german)

Veeam services are running. what do you mean by db service?

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Ok, if you’re logged into the Veeam server as that Admin user, just click the ‘Use Windows Session Authentication’ option. Then click Connect and you should get logged in.

The only other reason, aside from user issues, why you might not be able to log in is if you changed the connection port from the default 9392 as shown in the logon window. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Are the services running @Manuel2022? This includes the Db service and the Veeam Backup service as well.

Was just about to ask the same thing.  Typically that message is the services not running so check there first.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Hi @Manuel2022 -

yes, I've already tried that. The User is “Admin” (it's just for testing purposes) and is in the administrator group (sorry the Server is in german)

Veeam services are running. what do you mean by db service?

Postgres or SQL service - if you installed this new then Postgres is the default for the DB now so check that service.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

“Veeam services are running. what do you mean by db service?” ← Verify the postgresql### service is running, or the Microsoft SQL Service, if you’re using SQL.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

I assume that the installer was shipped with PostgreSQL in this case. Is this service also running?

Userlevel 1

Ok, if you’re logged into the Veeam server as that Admin user, just click the ‘Use Windows Session Authentication’ option. Then click Connect and you should get logged in.

The only other reason, aside from user issues, why you might not be able to log in is if you changed the connection port from the default 9392 as shown in the logon window. 

Unfortunately, logging in with the admin user doesn't work. To be honest, I don't understand the port thing. I've also tried deactivating the firewall and logging in, but again without success

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Unfortunately, logging in with the admin user doesn't work. To be honest, I don't understand the port thing. I've also tried deactivating the firewall and logging in, but again without success

Based on this statement, kindly take a look at this link: https://techdirectarchive.com/2024/03/08/install-veeam-backup-and-replication-with-the-default-postgresql/

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Hey!

I would like to test Veeam Backup & replication 12 to see if we want to use the software. This is the free version

Now, unfortunately, I already have problems with the installation. When I try to work with the localhost, I get the following error message:

To rule out a firewall problem, I've disabled them. Unfortunately, to no avail.

I tried a local user as well as a domain user. Both are in the Administrators group.

Die Dienste laufen auch alle:

(But I only have these four).

Does anyone have an idea what it could be based on?

About the server: It is a virtual machine that runs in VSphere.

Best

Manuel

Based on this you have the console installed locally.  For the host you need to put the VBR hostname/IP there to connect properly.  That is why you are getting this message as there is no Backup Service. 😉

Userlevel 1

After a reinstall veeam Works perfect.

Thanks for your help!

Best

Manuel

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Glad you figured it out!

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

After a reinstall veeam Works perfect.

Thanks for your help!