Solved

Extract data from backup in S3 Object storage created by Windows endpoint backup

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

Hi all,

A user formatted his laptop as revenge to his company, but a valid endpoint backup was taken using Endpoint agent backup for workstation to a dedicated S3 object storage bucket.

So we’re out of meta-data but should have 7 valid backup points in Object Storage.

Now I want to get FLR from this backup with minimum effort, so I was thinking of adding the Repo in an Existing VBR 12.1 and import the backups from there.

Attaching the bucket: no problem

Syncing the repo: no problem

Importing backups from the bucket: problem :-(

I get the message: Failed to synchronize Object Storage <Object Name> Folder does not exist.

Anybody tried this before ? Another path could be to install the Endpoint agent on a donor machine and try to connect from to the repo and perform restores…

icon

Best answer by kristofpoppe 9 January 2024, 17:38

View original

6 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

It should work to import to VBR for sure but the other method you mentioned about Agent might be worth trying as well.

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

Hi Chris, Thanks for your response.

In the meanwhile, I figured out a solution. I’ve added the object storage as Wasabi, since it was Wasabi storage. And this gave the error of the missing folder.

I removed the object storage from the VBR inventory and re-added is as generic S3 compatible storage.

This went flawless and I’m able to access the backup.

So it seems there are some differences between the Wasabi implementation and the regular S3 compatible implementation imho.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Glad you found a workaround.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

This is interesting….I didn’t realize there was much difference between the two other than it pre-filling some information for you.  I’m not sure I would have considered bringing up as regular S3-compatible storage.  I think this would be good to bring up to Support for visibility as well.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

@kristofpoppe you might want to add your experience to this thread in the R&D forums as you should be able to add the bucket to a new server without any issues:

https://forums.veeam.com/object-storage-as-a-backup-target-f52/veeam-12-sobr-with-vmware-and-wasabi-restore-testing-issues-and-questions-t89194.html

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

one more thought was about what the Wasabi logs said 

https://knowledgebase.wasabi.com/hc/en-us/articles/5779793361563-How-to-view-Wasabi-Bucket-Logs-using-Log-Tool-?source=search

Comment