Skip to main content

Is this possible and if so, how is it done in Veeam?

Hi @SysEng ,
this is not possible native in Veeam console.

But it’s possible to script it. I think there was a thread about this here in community….

Edit:
Yes, there was one 😁 Perhaps this will help you.

From CHATGPT below…..

Correct/agree?

you can export Veeam jobs and settings from one Veeam Backup & Replication server and import them into another server running the same version of Veeam. The process involves backing up the configuration of the original Veeam server and restoring it on the new server.

Here are the general steps:

1. Backup Configuration on the Source Veeam Server:

• In the Veeam Backup & Replication console on the source server:
    1. Go to Main Menu > Configuration Backup.
    2. Choose Backup Now to create a backup of the configuration, which includes jobs, settings, and other configurations.
    3. The configuration backup will be saved as a .bco file.

2. Transfer the Backup File:

• Once the backup is complete, locate the .bco file (usually saved in the default Veeam backup repository or a specified location).
  • Transfer this file to the new server running the same version of Veeam Backup & Replication.

3. Restore Configuration on the Target Veeam Server:

• On the new Veeam server, open the Veeam console.
  • Go to Main Menu > Configuration Backup > Restore.
  • Choose the .bco file you transferred from the original server.
  • Follow the prompts to restore the configuration, which includes jobs, settings, and other necessary configurations.

Important Notes:

• Both servers need to be running the same version of Veeam Backup & Replication.
  • After importing the configuration, you might need to adjust certain settings, such as repository paths or credentials, depending on the environment.

This method will help replicate the jobs and settings from one server to another efficiently.

Thanks @JMeixner 

Hi @SysEng --

As I shared in the linked post above, there is no native way, but there is an older script way to do it. I was hoping to get this script during the Hackathon, but we went with a different project idea. I guess there’s a “simple” way to also get this info exported via APIs, but I haven’t played with scripting that way to try it. I was needing this as well a yr ago. I built up a new greenfield environment (I wanted it like that). But, I didn’t want to have to recreate all my Jobs if I didn’t have to. Alas..I did 😕

You can use configuration backup but that tends to be for server recovery.

Actually it is for server recovery really as there is no infrastructure at Site 2, just the second VBR server. The second vbr server will be pointing to Site 1 Repos etc

@SysEng -

Then just use the User Guide process:

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backup/vsphere/vbr_config_migrate_to_another_server.html?ver=120

Thank you @coolsport00 

Actually it is for server recovery really as there is no infrastructure at Site 2, just the second VBR server. The second vbr server will be pointing to Site 1 Repos etc

Then you will be good to follow the processes outlined here by many of the folks. 👍🏼

Thank you @coolsport00 

Yep..no problem 😊

Thank you @coolsport00 

Yep..no problem 😊

@coolsport00 guess what lol. I love trial and error in my field as an engineer, that is how i was able to save many companies from impending catastrophe. But an observation:

I performed the backup of the .bco file from server 1 in Site A and copied it over to server 2 in Site B.

Selected Restore->migration option on server 2 using server 1 .bco file.

All went well UNTIL……

all my servers in virtual infra had RED X/disconnected, including all my repos. Basically, i can see the server 1 config, jobs all my settings loaded into server 2 vbr interface including all jobs on “disabled” as expected.

Now when i go back to primary veeam/server 1, RED X too, same for repos(object and local), jobs disabled upon restore.

Solution:

I had to restore veeam server 1 with a .bco file a day earlier(good thing had daily backups) to get all my config

Additionally, I had to rescan all local and object repositories, reconnect my cloud storage again, re-select gateway in the repos.

Finally, i had to SHUTDOWN server 2 and rename it, rejoin to the domain as it caused issues for server 1, WOW

Essentially, you cannot have 2 powered on VBR servers running the same configs.

@coolsport00 i think 2 issues caused this drama:

1. Duplicate configurations being detected by either server
  2. Repository conflicts where both servers are trying to access the same repositories

I could be wrong.

@coolsport00 i think 2 issues caused this drama:

1. Duplicate configurations being detected by either server
  2. Repository conflicts where both servers are trying to access the same repositories

I could be wrong.

Yes usually site A would be off so when site B comes online there are no conflicts.  You can edit each of them with a Red X but you should really turn off Site A to test.

You say, all connections were offline…

Did you set an encryption password for your configuration backup? Otherwise no passwords are saved in the configuration backup

“Essentially, you cannot have 2 powered on VBR servers running the same configs.”

@SysEng - yessir...this is indeed the case. Sorry for our assumption that the server1 side would be decom’d. Glad you got it sorted.

Comment