Skip to main content

Hi all … greetings

I am deployed an Ubuntu Immutable Repo and its utilization is high. Meanwhile I have a spare QNAP NAS TVS-h1688X, I am thinking if I can use it to expand the immutable repo capacity.

• Having checked the spec, the QNAP NAS support iSCSI and CIFS, might I use either protocol connect to the Immutable Repo for expansion?
  • Will the immutability maintained because it is controlled at the OS level?
  • Alternatively, leverage of QuObjects make the NAS become S3 compatible storage connecting to the VM host, and add both storage into SOBR, is workable too?

Hi @GoldenTree , iSCSI is better than CIFS/NFS.

And yes, if you connect iSCSI volume form QNAP to the LHR you can leverage linux OS immutability.

In my opinion, it's better to take advantage of linux's native immutability instead of QNAP's, also because you're going to unify your repositories.
Moreover, I can't find your NAS model on the Veeam Ready directory, although maybe what matters is the version of QuObject OS.

Hi @GoldenTree

Don’t try to utilize immutability over iscsi or SMB or by adding the QNAP as a linux server. While I’m aware there are instructions for installation the Linux Repository role to the QNAP directly, this is not supported as the QNAP OS is not on the supported OS list for repositories. You will be at risk if anything goes wrong as it’s simply not supported, QNAP OS is not a normal Linux distribution.

Similarly, I would _not_ do it over iscsi or SMB because the QNAP administrative interface is an attack vector, especially with iscsi. You can punk an iscsi share just by adding it to multiple initiators at once and nuke the volume, very juicy and quick attack by malicious actors, if not just something that can be done on accident quite easily. 

I would go with QuObjects, but please be prepared that performance for QuObjects can struggle under load -- the new checkpoint removal process being detached from the backups in 12.2 should help with this a bit (the delete operations that tend to really impact some on-premises S3 devices is moved to a separate job that runs outside the backup window), but you will still need to adjust concurrent tasks as historically QuObjects doesn’t handle the workload very well except with SSD-based QNAP devices as per Veeam Object Ready entry.

Consider also tiering -- use your Ubuntu Hardened Repository as Performance Tier in a Scale-out Backup repository with Move enabled, then add the QNAP QuObjects as Capacity Tier for your long-term archival points. That frees up space on the Ubuntu box while preserving your archival points for “Write-Once Read Rarely” operations on the QNAP.

Hey @GoldenTree ,

@ddomask is correct. Do not use iSCSI or any type of CIFS external storage for your linux repository.

Not only for the security issues it presents, but more so for the reliability concerns.

I played around with this idea a while back on a Synology unit and I could connect the iSCSI LUNS and mount the storage on the linux box, even make it immutable. The big issue came when the linux box required a reboot, or the Synology updated it’s DSM software. Not matter what I did, config files I edited, packages installed, etc.. I could not get the linux box to connect reliably back to the Synology. Don’t believe this was a linux issue, more how the Synology device handled the connection. 

For this reason alone I scrapped it. 

If you need more storage look at some type of DAS that utilizes hardware instead of software for mounting the storage in linux. You will sleep better at night.

• Doug 

Comment