Solved

Exclude USB attached drive from Veeam backup

• 7 December 2021
  • 6 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

I have an odd backup setup that I am trying to navigate. We have a VM (VMware) that is being backed up that has a volume listed in the OS as G: drive. This is actually a USB drive attached to the host server and is being fed into VMware via the xHCI USB driver. Veeam is backing up this volume, but is not listing it in the list of backed up drives if I try and create an exclusion. Is there another area to look or another way to exclude just this G: drive from the backup?

icon

Best answer by MicoolPaul 7 December 2021, 16:14

View original

6 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hello @bp4JC, have you seen this yet?https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backup/vsphere/backup_job_excludes_vm.html?ver=110 

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

I have. In that exclusions list, I am able to see the 4 datastores we have created in vmware. It’s the USB drive that is not showing up. I can tell that it’s being backed up due to the size of the incrementals that are occurring, but therein lies the issue. We really need to be able to exclude this drive. The data on it is temporary and gets deleted regularly with the application it is assigned to, but consequently, we are losing all of our disk space due to that drive.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

I have. In that exclusions list, I am able to see the 4 datastores we have created in vmware. It’s the USB drive that is not showing up. I can tell that it’s being backed up due to the size of the incrementals that are occurring, but therein lies the issue. We really need to be able to exclude this drive. The data on it is temporary and gets deleted regularly with the application it is assigned to, but consequently, we are losing all of our disk space due to that drive.

https://forums.veeam.com/nutanix-ahv-f51/is-it-possible-to-exclude-drives-from-backups-t67044.html

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Hey! Without seeing the specifics of the deployment and whether or not it’s as simple as excluded the specific controller that has the disk etc, otherwise could you use Veeam Agent if it’s some sort of direct passthrough of the device? That way it can handle from within OS.

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Hey! Without seeing the specifics of the deployment and whether or not it’s as simple as excluded the specific controller that has the disk etc, otherwise could you use Veeam Agent if it’s some sort of direct passthrough of the device? That way it can handle from within OS.

Veeam agent is not a bad idea. Can you use that in conjunction with vcenter backups in the same VBR installation on a backup server? (I hope that makes sense...basically have an agent backup along with the other vcenter backups within VBR on the backup server).

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Veeam agent is not a bad idea. Can you use that in conjunction with vcenter backups in the same VBR installation on a backup server? (I hope that makes sense...basically have an agent backup along with the other vcenter backups within VBR on the backup server).

Yep completely fine! Just avoid processing via both vSphere backup and agent backup jobs to prevent potential issues. That’s not a Veeam specific thing, just it’s never good with multiple tools backing up data as they can mess with each other.

It’ll be a separate Agent based backup job, centrally managed by Veeam B&R

Comment