Solved

Error with USB Backup Copy - Object reference not set to an instance of an object

  • 21 December 2021
  • 7 comments
  • 176 views

Userlevel 1

I’ve seen this error message in the forums multiple times.

From what I’ve read, there is a non-public hotfix available.
The weird thing is, the backup copy was working fine until the customer swapped USB drives.

I thought maybe the hotfix has been integrated into B&R 11a already, so I tried installing that today. That gets me a different error, also apparently a well known one: VBRCatalog is not a valid short file name.

What I’ve tried:
Setting the registry key for the Catalog Path, but the path already was correct. Haven’t installed any upgrades in the last 3 months. Still running version 11.0.0.837, but from what I saw during the upgrade, VBR Catalog is still version 10.0.1.4854.

Any idea what I could still try?

 

icon

Best answer by Chris.Childerhose 21 December 2021, 14:43

View original

7 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Only thing I can suggest is update to 11a that version noted for v11 is the original install where 11.0.1.x is v11a. Maybe that will fix it.

Also check the log files in C:\ProgramData\Veeam

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Did you check your source and target repository for corruptions?

Userlevel 1

@Chris.Childerhose I’ve now searched the entire Registry for the term “VBRCatalog” - found one instance where it was pointing at the wrong drive letter. Fixed and now the 11a update is installing.

 

@JMeixner the source repository is fine. All other backup jobs are working correctly. It’s only the usb copy that has issues. How do I check for corruptions most efficiently?

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

@Chris.Childerhose I’ve now searched the entire Registry for the term “VBRCatalog” - found one instance where it was pointing at the wrong drive letter. Fixed and now the 11a update is installing.

 

@JMeixner the source repository is fine. All other backup jobs are working correctly. It’s only the usb copy that has issues. How do I check for corruptions most efficiently?

Hopefully that will address the issue.  Keep us posted.

Userlevel 1

@Chris.Childerhose I’ve now searched the entire Registry for the term “VBRCatalog” - found one instance where it was pointing at the wrong drive letter. Fixed and now the 11a update is installing.

 

@JMeixner the source repository is fine. All other backup jobs are working correctly. It’s only the usb copy that has issues. How do I check for corruptions most efficiently?

Hopefully that will address the issue.  Keep us posted.

So yeah. After the upgrade was successful the backup copy just finished normally.
It would appear that fixed it. Thanks for your input!

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

@Chris.Childerhose I’ve now searched the entire Registry for the term “VBRCatalog” - found one instance where it was pointing at the wrong drive letter. Fixed and now the 11a update is installing.

 

@JMeixner the source repository is fine. All other backup jobs are working correctly. It’s only the usb copy that has issues. How do I check for corruptions most efficiently?

Hopefully that will address the issue.  Keep us posted.

So yeah. After the upgrade was successful the backup copy just finished normally.
It would appear that fixed it. Thanks for your input!

Not a problem at all glad this fixed it.  :smiley:

@Chris.Childerhose I’ve now searched the entire Registry for the term “VBRCatalog” - found one instance where it was pointing at the wrong drive letter. Fixed and now the 11a update is installing.

 

@JMeixner the source repository is fine. All other backup jobs are working correctly. It’s only the usb copy that has issues. How do I check for corruptions most efficiently?

Hopefully that will address the issue.  Keep us posted.

So yeah. After the upgrade was successful the backup copy just finished normally.
It would appear that fixed it. Thanks for your input!

Not a problem at all glad this fixed it.  :smiley:

Just wanted to add that correcting a registry entry for VBRCatalog fixed an issue for us as well. Trying to do an upgrade from v11 to v11a was failing due to the “VBRCatalog is not a valid short name” error. Searched through until I found an entry under: “Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\UserData\S-1-5-18\Components\548FDDBB83EB487478FBC0FD5AC7CDCB” that had the VBRCatalog listed under an incorrect drive letter. Changed from E: back to C: and re-ran the upgrade installer successfully. Thanks for sharing that info here.

Comment