Skip to main content

Create a section dedicated to hypervisors?

@Rick Vanover @safiya @Madi.Cristil 

since Veeam is supporting many virtualization platforms would it be possible to create a section dedicated to hypervisors to share impressions, guides, suggestions on this topic?
could be interesting.

What does the community think about this?

@Geoff Burke @MicoolPaul @Chris.Childerhose @JMeixner @Iams3le @dloseke @marcofabbri @Scott @dips @coolsport00 @Nico Losschaert 
/discuss

19 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Always an added value to exchange knowledge and experiences around different hypervisors. Definitely a section that can be interesting and contain a lot of practical information for Veeam users.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

It might not be a bad idea.  There are probably a lot of places to discuss hypervisors, but honestly, now that the industry is starting to turn to “what hypervisor can I use with my current backup solution” rather than “what backup solution will work with my hypervisor”.  Might be good to look at it from a “Veeam works with this” context.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hi @Link State, this is a good idea if we can truly keep up with it. By this, I mean creating high-quality guides on various ways to administer, secure and troubleshoot etc. I see some ideas I have on Proxmox, Hyper-V, and OOTBI etc (hardware also) falling into this section. Instead of throwing articles of this nature into blogposts/postcast section if I remember correctly. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Absolutely a good idea @Link State ! Would we interesting for anyone using Veeam 😂

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

My concern is creating a bunch of areas that will get a low volume of posts and die off quickly.

A blogpost about Proxmox and VMware is still a blog.  At least there will be more visibility in Blogs and General Discussion. 

Keeping the top level headings generic, Veeam related and to the lowest number to stay organized is a balance.   I’d love a topic for Hardware related to Veeam. It could contain reviews, questions, advice, and benchmarks.   Most of that could fit under General Discussion and blogs as well though.  

I am always in in favor of Keeping it Simple :)  I don’t want to have to actively search to find new posts.

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

I’m thinking something like this was already discussed a year ago or so? 🤔 Hmm..maybe not..I don’t recall. I do know a Home Labs thematic group/page was discussed. With the recent HV add announcements by Veeam, there are certainly more HVs out there Veeam now integrates with (or will soon integrate with). But I’m not entirely sold on a whole separate thematic group/page here on the Hub for hypervisors. I think it’s rare folks even mention some Veeam function and explicitly state what HV they’re using. No one knows cuz posters/authors are mostly just talking about the Veeam feature or function; and most features/functions are for vSphere/Hyper-V.

With other HV’s, they either don’t have the full Veeam feature set, or simply aren’t talked about much. So I guess I’m not really sold on the idea of having a “hypervisors” group personally. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

I’m thinking something like this was already discussed a year ago or so? 🤔 Hmm..maybe not..I don’t recall. I do know a Home Labs thematic group/page was discussed. With the recent HV add announcements by Veeam, there are certainly more HVs out there Veeam now integrates with (or will soon integrate with). But I’m not entirely sold on a whole separate thematic group/page here on the Hub for hypervisors. I think it’s rare folks even mention some Veeam function and explicitly state what HV they’re using. No one knows cuz posters/authors are mostly just talking about the Veeam feature or function; and most features/functions are for vSphere/Hyper-V.

With other HV’s, they either don’t have the full Veeam feature set, or simply aren’t talked about much. So I guess I’m not really sold on the idea of having a “hypervisors” group personally. 🤷🏻‍♂️

I thought the HomeLab idea was cool, but it is the same thing. Someone will post a photo/writeup of what they have, then never return or it’ll turn into the classic “What VM’s are you running” and less about Veeam in the long term.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

@Rick Vanover @safiya @Madi.Cristil 

since Veeam is supporting many virtualization platforms would it be possible to create a section dedicated to hypervisors to share impressions, guides, suggestions on this topic?
could be interesting.

What does the community think about this?

@Geoff Burke @MicoolPaul @Chris.Childerhose @JMeixner @Iams3le @dloseke @marcofabbri @Scott @dips  @Nico Losschaert 

I support the idea @Link State :)

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

I am all for a section for Hypervisors only if used correctly.  We see some of the current sections not used correctly and posts getting moved.  If we can manage that I am all for it.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

I am on the @Scott point of view here. 

We could do something all-in, like “Hypervisor Highway” and equate them all. What I don’t think would be effective is one for VMware, one for Hyper-V, one for AHV, one for RHV, one for OLVM, one for Proxmox, etc...

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

I am on the @Scott point of view here. 

We could do something all-in, like “Hypervisor Highway” and equate them all. What I don’t think would be effective is one for VMware, one for Hyper-V, one for AHV, one for RHV, one for OLVM, one for Proxmox, etc...

Hypervisor Highway, another Rickatron name 😀!! You should have been in the music business naming albums! 

The new hit single:

“I’m on Hypervisor Highway to …. big invoices with VMware!”

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Need a rock band name?

Industrial Bread
JoJo and the Pops
Crank and Flow

I can do this all day yo

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

Need a rock band name?

Industrial Bread
JoJo and the Pops
Crank and Flow

I can do this all day yo

🤦🏻‍♂️😂😂

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

I think it can be a good idea..but as a first step I would start with improving the forum search bar (e.g. add ordering by most recent post), or have the ability to save posts as favorites, instead of using browser favorites!

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

@Scott 's view and yours are correct, as an old Forum user, we tend to centralize discussions by avoiding dipersion of posts. By creating macro discussion sections.
The idea of course was just to create one section dedicated to all Hypervisors. Many times the lack of hypervisor knowledge also falls on the backup system. imho

@marco_s  good idea.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

@Scott 's view and yours are correct, as an old Forum user, we tend to centralize discussions by avoiding dipersion of posts. By creating macro discussion sections.
The idea of course was just to create one section dedicated to all Hypervisors. Many times the lack of hypervisor knowledge also falls on the backup system. imho

@marco_s  good idea.

I spent too much time “Admining” some forums back in the day lol. Perhaps that’s why my brain is wired this way..  I did a 180 when @Rick Vanover came up with the title Hypervisor Highway though.   😅. Later you can add Software Speedway.

I’m fine to have some segmentation of topics, but something like the R and D forums, where you can see “new posts since last login” is a pretty cool way to just see new topics and information vs targeted searches.   

For the the R&D forums, when trying to sort out an issue, I want segmentation to save me time. For something like the Community Forums, I feel enthusiasts are more interested in seeing each others posts as well. I’m not rushing to fix an issue or get answers here. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

“THE COMMITTEE” Is in the ‘no for now’ camp cc @Madi.Cristil @safiya 

But not “no forever” :)

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

@marco_s  good idea.

I spent too much time “Admining” some forums back in the day lol. Perhaps that’s why my brain is wired this way..  I did a 180 when @Rick Vanover came up with the title Hypervisor Highway though.   😅. Later you can add Software Speedway.

I’m fine to have some segmentation of topics, but something like the R and D forums, where you can see “new posts since last login” is a pretty cool way to just see new topics and information vs targeted searches.   

For the the R&D forums, when trying to sort out an issue, I want segmentation to save me time. For something like the Community Forums, I feel enthusiasts are more interested in seeing each others posts as well. I’m not rushing to fix an issue or get answers here. 

REO speedwagon was a thing.. long before I was born of course

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

Come on Geoff...”before you were born”?? You can’t play that card anymore...not with those dance moves you showed off at VeeamON 🕺🏻😎😂

Comment