Solved

continue veeam agent chain

Userlevel 4
Badge +1
  • Veeam Legend
  • 14 comments

Hi everybody,

I’ve got a private instance (without support) of a veeam agent backup. Now the thing is that the latest VIB in the chain got deleted and now the backup starts with a VBK… I’ve tried to delete the backup job, created a new one and mapped the backup but still no difference. Also I’ve tried to remove the vbm file, but it still starts with a vbk. Has anyone got an idea how to continue with that chain?

icon

Best answer by MicoolPaul 14 October 2022, 09:14

View original

6 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Morning, your problem will be that your metadata file no longer matches your chain. Support have managed to rebuild this in the past, but as you say, you don’t have support.

I’d suggest continuing with the full backup creation unfortunately

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

I have to concur with Michael as you will not be able to fix the chain and doing the full is the best way forward now.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Do an active full and start over.

VBK = backup file

VIB = Incremental

You can’t delete an incremental and expect to keep going.  Consider 1 is the backup and the rest are incremental. If you delete 4 in the following, - 1,2,3,5,6,7,8  you wouldn’t be able to restore from 8.  Similar to getting a corrupt snapshot in VMware if a VM has say 6 snapshots. There are ways around it, but it gets complicated and you really do need support.

You could still recover data from that VBK so you don’t necessarily have to delete it just yet, but the chain is gone. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

Yeah, thanks guys, I know how the chain works… In the mentioned case it was:

1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8 and number 8 got deleted, so no points after the deleted one. I would have expected veeam to continue the chain as there’s no reason why it couldn’t continue that chain...

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

In my case, I deal with something similar, but at the end, the only (no support) solution was to create a new Full, Veeam agent detected the machine as “different” so the metadata was different, and the chain needed to be re started, the previous backups where capable, but new chain started.

also when I moved machines from one lab to another, after re-register them into the new vcenter, in this case for Veeam B&R were like different machines, so a new full was also needed.

In my personal opinion, I would not irritate in starting a new chain, keened the “old” files for a while, and then continue with the new chain.

;)

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Yeah, thanks guys, I know how the chain works… In the mentioned case it was:

1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8 and number 8 got deleted, so no points after the deleted one. I would have expected veeam to continue the chain as there’s no reason why it couldn’t continue that chain...

That’s not as bad as I thought.

If you needed 1-7 for example, support could most likely get you going, but unless it’s critical, or for legal reasons, run an active full is the easiest and fastest solution. 

You could probably keep the 1-7 as well for retention until it ages out as well. 

Comment