Solved

connection errors to a Veeam proxy at remote location

• 22 November 2022
  • 1 comment

Userlevel 6
Badge +1
  • Comes here often
  • 72 comments

We have a location in the US where our VBR server in DE seem to have some connection issues sometimes. Latency and packet loss I see in smokeping is not that high, even better than for most of our other remote locations.

Still we see errors like below in out backup and offload jobs for 2-3 VMs out of 35 on a daily base. The IP is the local proxy there.

Processing xxxx Error: A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond 172.31.132.113:2508  

First job retry is successful most of the time. Anyhow, I’d like to get rid of those errors. Support suggested to change following regkeys to adjust.

ConnectByIPsTimeoutSec

AgentStartTimeoutSec

But this did not change anything. I think we need settings for retries not timeouts. Any other ideas? Network team already checked everything and did not find anything. As I wrote, monitoring graphs also do not look too bad. Other applications do not show those issues.

icon

Best answer by Chris.Childerhose 22 November 2022, 15:37

View original

1 comment

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

I would start by checking the logs in C:\ProgramData\Veeam\Backup first to see what the jobs are reporting as it might give you a better idea where to look.

These timeouts are hard to troubleshoot trust me as we see them as well at times from one DC to another and can never seem to truly pinpoint the issue as it just starts working again.

Comment