Comparison of IaaS services by the Big Five Hyperscalers

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

I found this tool today. I thought it would be helpful for anyone evaluating a migration to cloud. The sections for object storage are also particularly interesting with respect to Veeam products.

https://projector.cloud-mercato.com/projects/aws-vs-azure-vs-google-vs-ibm-vs-oracle-vms-q2-2023

6 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

That is a very interesting comparison for the big 5.  Thanks for sharing this as it is very useful.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Thanks for posting this.  I’ll look through it in my free time.  I don’t have much in the cloud right now, but when I have a client that asks about a Lift and Shift, I run a Dell LiveOptics capture and just give the estimates that it comes up with there.  Perhaps that can be more helpful.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Thanks for the post. Does look really interesting.

@dloseke I’ve not come across Dell LiveOptics before. Will check it out

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Thanks for the post. Does look really interesting.

@dloseke I’ve not come across Dell LiveOptics before. Will check it out

Note that you have to be a Dell Partner to have access to the LiveOptics tool set.  Back in the EMC days, EMC used a tool called MiTrends as I recall, and Dell had DPACK.  With the merger of Dell and EMC, MiTrends was sunsetted (I think it was actually someone elses product that Dell was using) and DPACK was modified to include parts of both and became LiveOptics.  Super cool….does a good job of monitoring IO utilization, read/write ration, space requirements, memory and CPU trends, etc.  That’s LiveOptics Prime.  There is also a tool for review files on a windows server to determine duplicates, compressability, etc.  And then there are tools for evaluating utilization on Dell and some non-dell storage arrays, evaluating Veeam data, etc.  It’s pretty broad, but easily LiveOptics Prime is the workhorse.  It’s actually won me deals before because I was able to tailor storage arrays and such to the clients needs rather than give them some cookie-cutter solution.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Thanks, I remember utilising DPACK back in the day when sizing storage arrays. Made it so much easier. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Thank you @HangTen416 for sharing!

Comment