Solved

CE 12.1 New Install, first Backup job, confused at tab = Objects, no file picker dialog

• 30 December 2023
  • 4 comments

Userlevel 2

Hello - total newbie here,

I installed CE 12.1.0.2131 on Windows 10 Pro (desktop computer type)

I wanted to try creating a simple backup job to see how it works. I intend to chose just a single folder of files to be backed up.

I am in Home > Backup Job > New Agent Backup Job > Tab = “Objects”

I checked the box for “The following file system objects:”

It displays a windows form with a single line text box, I do not see any buttons to open a file picker dialog box to be able to select just the single folder I want to backup.

I see a similar constraint when I click “Next” to go to the tab labeled “Local Storage”. There is just a text box on a form and no file picker dialogs. I need to type the full path to the storage location where I want the backup to be written to.

Is this intended behavior to not be able to use a file picker dialog box? Is this a limitation of the Community Edition?

Thank you.

icon

Best answer by MicoolPaul 30 December 2023, 19:22

View original

4 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

What backup mode did you select?  File selection is dependent on the choice there.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Hi, this is more a case of not the right tool for the job. VBR is used to deploy and manage multiple jobs, so you’re not seeing file pickers because the job could be protecting one machine or one thousand for example.

If there is a single computer/endpoint you want to protect I’d suggest installing the Veeam Agent for Microsoft Windows on the endpoint and create the job on there which will give you device specific settings you’re after.

To continue making a job on VBR you would need to specify the path you want to protect, and you’d need to add the place you want to store your backup into Veeam as a backup repository under the backup infrastructure section.

Hope this helps!

Userlevel 2

thank you Mr Cool Paul

I was starting to think this was the wrong tool, too much for what I need.

So I can un-install VEEAM backup and just focus on windows agent!

Thanks to karen lunic in the popup chat, she directed me to the windows agent free

https://www.veeam.com/backup-agent-windows-free/alt_download.html

which I thought was not free because the other link said free trial, so I ended up downloading the community edition of VBR which was marked as free, but it was too much for my use case.

I got the memo.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Glad to hear all is sorted now 🙂 hopefully you’re finding the Veeam Agent meets all your needs 👍 any further questions the community is here to help!

Comment