Question

CDP with 2 vcenter

Userlevel 6
Badge +1
  • Comes here often
  • 35 comments

Hello, I would like to use CDP to replicate my VM from DC to DRC, I have 2 vcenter on DC and DRC. I have already installed VBR server on DC site

So do I have to install I/O in each vcenter (DC & DRC) by using Veeam console in DC or I just have to install I/O in vcenter on DC ?

Thank you 

10 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

You will need the I/O Filter installed in both locations and CDP Proxy allocated to the CDP Policy as well in each location.

Check the guide here - Continuous Data Protection (CDP) - User Guide for VMware vSphere (veeam.com)

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Also if you have both vCenters added to the console in DC then you can deploy the I/O filter to both clusters from the one side.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

The specific I/O Filter installation instructions - Installing I/O Filter - User Guide for VMware vSphere (veeam.com)

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

Hello, I would like to use CDP to replicate my VM from DC to DRC, I have 2 vcenter on DC and DRC. I have already installed VBR server on DC site

So do I have to install I/O in each vcenter (DC & DRC) by using Veeam console in DC or I just have to install I/O in vcenter on DC ?

Thank you 

Hello, you need to install I/O filter on both vcenters. And it is necessary to have the same versions.

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

Actually I have already tried to install I/O in DR site first before continuing to install I/O in DC but when I tried to install in DR I got an issue

Does VBR server need to be joint domain if my vcenter using domain too ? Because I think the issue is because of DNS

Thank you

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Actually I have already tried to install I/O in DR site first before continuing to install I/O in DC but when I tried to install in DR I got an issue

Does VBR server need to be joint domain if my vcenter using domain too ? Because I think the issue is because of DNS

Thank you

Does not have to be as long as VBR can resolve the VC and host names which might need host file entries you should be good.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6
Hello, you need to install I/O filter on both vcenters. And it is necessary to have the same versions.

This can not be understated.  In my experience, the driver needs to be the exact same version on both ends.  If there is a minor version difference, it’ll throw errors.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Thank you

Does not have to be as long as VBR can resolve the VC and host names which might need host file entries you should be good.

Host names is a great idea unless you’re certain you’ll have DNS in DR in the event of a failover.  VBR generally should not be domain joined and mine no longer is (it was until I did some major updating and topology changes a few months ago).  Also, while my vCenter is domain joined to my domain, I would not recommend using a domain-joined account for access to the vCenter in the event of the domain becoming unavailable in the event of a failover.  I’d advise to setup a new local vsphere.local account and utilize that login instead.

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

This can not be understated.  In my experience, the driver needs to be the exact same version on both ends.  If there is a minor version difference, it’ll throw errors.

Definitely, this is the first thing to look at.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Thank you 

Hi @dika this topic guide can help.

[GUIDE] How to deploy CDP v.11 step by step | Veeam Community Resource Hub

Comment