Question

CDP on it own VLAN

Userlevel 5

Hi everyone,

We are currently using Veeam CDP and are very pleased with its performance. However, we would like to configure the CDP bandwidth to utilize its own VLAN instead of the LAN network. We are operating within a 10GB physical network environment.

Thank you for your assistance.

9 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Does that VLAN have a separate NIC? Or another VLAN on the same NIC? If so it won’t make any performance difference.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Not sure if you can use network traffic rules with the CDP proxies but something to look in to -

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backup/vsphere/network_rules.html?ver=120

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

I agree with MicoolPaul, are you trying to do this for security or for performance?

Do you have a second nic? 

Userlevel 5

Each host has 4 x 10GB NICs. Can I use 2 x 10GB NICs for CDP, and if so, how can I achieve this?

Userlevel 3
Badge

Hello,
You can do it use 2 Nics, but you need to analyse your phisycal network infrastructure.

Probably you have 2 switches cores > 2 nics are plugged on swtich 1 and the others on switch 2.
To get a higher performance you have a LACP for VMware production having a 20 GB (One port A of switch 1 , one port A switch 2) / or you are using the NIC 1 for live Managment  -  NIC 2 for Live migration/ Vmotion/etc and the others you can use , but first need to bring this communication /connection to virtual enviroment, i don’t know if you are using VMware, after you configure this connection phisically. It’s necessary configure the PortGroup/VLAN ID on distributed swicth.

If you are using the 4 Nic’s it’s easier, presuming you have two link agreggation 2x ports managment 2x port’s Vmotion, you just need to configure the swtich, create a new port group on VDS. (This option the data will be transfered/ received on the same tunnel of production data), you can use a limitation on Veeam.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Each host has 4 x 10GB NICs. Can I use 2 x 10GB NICs for CDP, and if so, how can I achieve this?

Thinking out loud here - maybe putting the CDP Proxies on separate NICs would do this?  I have played with CDP but not in this manner so might be trial and error testing.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

You could assign it’s own Vlan/PortGroup on the Distributed Switch in VMware if the CDP servers are VM’s quite easy.   Replication is often good to have on it’s own Vlan so you can control it and not have it swamp the production as well. QOS is your friend.

Userlevel 5

Thank you for your response. I have two new infrastructures with hosts on 10GB networks. I created a VM specifically to run Veeam for Continuous Data Protection (CDP). This VM is on a different VLAN compared to the production environment. The production environment is on VLAN 1, while Veeam is on VLAN 2, and I want to run CDP on VLAN 3. Currently, Veeam is running smoothly on VLAN 2 and successfully backing up the VMs on VLAN 1. Now, I aim to configure CDP to function on VLAN 3. Could you please advise on where I can make this configuration? Thank you for your assistance.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

some time ago I separated the backup and Veeam traffic related to that.

using physical nics in my hosts, creating independent vswitches, and adding the port group to those vswitches / vlan to the VBR server as another vnic (no gateway for independency)

the Destination repo was also on this network, and the Veeam Proxies on the hosts, so everything was going over that network without any issues.

run a test, and make sure your VBR and your proxies reach the vcenter, Prod Storage, backup storage, etc, to ensure that you will be able to “move” the data, and configure the preferred network in your VBR to ensure that uses that path as well.

keep in mind this as well “keep it simple” if you need to change something, or get in “emergency mode”, you would love to have things easy and clear, not complex and tricky.

hope this gives you an idea.

cheers.

Comment