Solved

Cannot get email notifications working from Azure backup appliance

• 21 January 2022
  • 6 comments

Userlevel 2

Has anyone had any success getting email notifications via Office 365 to work from their Veeam Azure backup appliance? I keep getting SMTP auth errors, even though I’ve confirmed the credentials are correct. I’m using SSL and authentication over port 587 and have tried various Office SMTP endpoints without success. I have added the appliance IP to our on-premise connector in Exchange Online.

Weirdly, I am able to get it to send the test email if I relay via Gmail, but cannot for the life of me get it to work via Exchange Online. Hoping I’m just missing something obvious.

For what it’s worth, the same account I’m using can send emails from our copier via Exchange Online without issue. Any suggestions appreciated!

icon

Best answer by JMeixner 21 January 2022, 00:26

View original

6 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Hello,

did you have a look at this thread?
It is in German, but you can translate it with chrome browser…

Userlevel 2

Hello,

did you have a look at this thread?
It is in German, but you can translate it with chrome browser…

Thank you, that thread (with the help of Google translate) helped me get to the bottom of the issue. All working now.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Fine that you got it sorted out.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@bittercoffee Great that you were able to solve your problem.😊 Could you please just post in short what exactly the solution has been?

Userlevel 2

@bittercoffeeGreat that you were able to solve your problem.😊 Could you please just post in short what exactly the solution has been?

The problem seemed to be due to the ‘send as’ email address. I added the account credentials which were accurate, but when configuring the send from/to options I was trying use a different email address than the actual UPN for the Office 365 account I was connecting with. Office doesn’t like that, even for SMTP relay, unlike other mail providers like Gmail. 

Additionally, I had read various articles suggesting to use whatever your MX record resolves to as the server, or smtp.office365.com. smtp.office365.com is the correct server to specify.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Thanks for providing the solution 👍

Additionally, I had read various articles suggesting to use whatever your MX record resolves to as the server, or smtp.office365.com. smtp.office365.com is the correct server to specify.

The MX record can be used for SMTP relay, without authentication. SMTP.office365.com on the other hand is used only with authentication.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/exchange/mail-flow-best-practices/how-to-set-up-a-multifunction-device-or-application-to-send-email-using-microsoft-365-or-office-365

Comment