Solved

Cannot access Veeambackup database

Userlevel 1

Hello everyone.

Am not sure if this is the write place to ask this..

I forgot the encryption password i have set for my veeam backups, and i want to access the veeamBackup database to get the encrypted password and decrypt it as the online manual says. But as soon as i login to the database with sql server studio with the windows authentication settings, the Veeambackup is not accessible. The sa user is not active. This manual here ‘How to install Veeam Backup and Replication 11 Community Edition with a dedicated SQL Server | Veeam Community Resource Hub’ is exactly the same as my setup, but as soon as i get to the part there i am suppose to open the database VeeamBackup to see the tables etc, i get an error ‘The database VeeamBackup is not accessible’. Also added a screenshot below to show it.

Any help on what am i doing wrong?

Thank you

icon

Best answer by regnor 24 October 2023, 16:07

View original

10 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

When you installed Veeam, did you select to use the SA account to access the DB during install, or to use Windows Auth? I would think the SA should work, but haven’t tested it. I always have used Windows Auth.

Another thing you can try is, are you actually in or using the Veeam Console? If so, close it out, and stop all the Veeam services to see if you can then access it. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

I was just able to access my DB by using Windows Auth, and that’s what I configured during my Veeam install.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

This is a permissions issue and as mentioned what did you choose to use for authentication during install.  You may need to enable SA, create a new account and then access it via that.  Also, what is the Owner on the DB?  Is it SA?  Change this to the new account created and you may need to update the Veeam installation too with the DB Utility.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Try login as the local administrator.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Access often fails because of the UAC, so maybe you should try to run the SQL Management Studio as an administrator via right-click? 

By the way, if your talking about KB4349; this doesn’t work for encryption passwords.

The procedure detailed in this article can only be used to recover account credentials and not to recover backup encryption passwords.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Do you have enterprise manager deployed? You may be able to reset it that way.

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backup/em/em_pwd_recovery_request.html?ver=120

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hey, does the builtin users have the the right permission to connect to the database? I would advise you to set the right permission. If you would like to use the SA login as it is currently disabled, ensure the SA login is set to enabled 
- To do this, right click on the SA logins and select properties. Under status, ensure login is enabled.

Userlevel 1

Access often fails because of the UAC, so maybe you should try to run the SQL Management Studio as an administrator via right-click? 

By the way, if your talking about KB4349; this doesn’t work for encryption passwords.

The procedure detailed in this article can only be used to recover account credentials and not to recover backup encryption passwords.

I just had to open it as an administrator -.- i was logged in as administrator and i didnt thought to open the studio as admin aswell. 
Yes my issue is that i wanted to find the encryption password i have set for the backups. Is there a way to find that?

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Great explanation from @regnor !

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Great explanation from @regnor !

Yeah! Microsoft does not recommend using the SA login as it can be targeted! 

Comment