Solved

Can't find non-existent vm to delete

Userlevel 3

Hi all. I am quite new to Veeam. I was trying to set my laptop up to be backed up daily and at one point I selected VM as an option. I did eventually get it set up as an Agent Backup, but now I get these emails below every day and I can’t find anywhere to delete or remove anything so I quit getting this message. Any help?

[Failed] Backup Policy: Agent Backup ….. (1 VMs) 1 failed

icon

Best answer by coolsport00 2 August 2023, 19:35

View original

25 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Hi @79schultz - can you share more on what you have set up? Are you using Veeam Agent free edition I assume? What version? For back up, there are 3 modes to choose from: Entire Computer, Volume, or File. Which did you select? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

You might need to check your Managed Servers to ensure just your Agent is showing in the console.  If you tried to add your system as a VM then remove it from the Protected Group - this is in the Inventory tab.

Userlevel 3

@coolsport00I think this answers your question? We have a Perpetual License Enterprise Edition.

Version 9.5 Update 4

For the Agent Backup that I did manage to set up, I selected Whole Computer.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Ok, so you’re using Veeam to manage your endpoints.

Click in the Home section (1st one), then select Jobs. Does this job show in there? If you click on the Backups heading in the same Home area, do you see your job there, too? If so, you can expand it and should see the VM, rt-click & delete if not needed. You can do 1 of 2 things...delete the job if you no longer are backing this system up; or disable the job, so you no longer get notifications.

BE CAREFUL TO ONLY DELETE WHAT YOU NO LONGER NEED.

Userlevel 3

OK. So this must be what is causing that? I need to do a bunch more studying on how Veeam works...This was setup already when I was asked to take over and I wanted my computer backed up and figured it’s a lot better to mess up on my laptop than on a VM Server.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Yep @79schultz ...that is it. You can either rt-click > delete it; or, rt-click > disable it and you’ll no longer get notifications.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Maybe just disable it for now until you wrap your brain around how Veeam works. Even if it was for test….you know, just in case.

Userlevel 3

Thank you! I understand a little better what was confusing me. In the Backups, I had a backup (that is working) with the same name, and I thought if I deleted one or the other, it would mess everything up.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Ah ok; yeah...that isn’t correct. You get notified by JOBS which fail (or succeed, or both..depending on how your notifications are set up).

Since you’re really new to Veeam, it would be very beneficial to keep the User Guide URL handy. Post here or the forums if you need assistance or guidance.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Version 9.5 Update 4

Woah...blast from the past.  I’d suggest upgrading to a newer/supported version, but that said, I think you’re going to have to stair step the upgrade to v10 and then to v12 or something along those lines.  I’d suggest working with Veeam support to do this to make sure you don’t have any dependencies that will prevent you from upgrading, especially as you learn more about the product.

Userlevel 3

Right. Our plan is to upgrade, but we also have to upgrade our server software so we are just waiting till we go from Server 2012 R2 to 2022 to upgrade Veeam. We have the license and upgraded hardware, just haven’t done the transfer yet.

Userlevel 3

I thought this was working after disabling that job, but I’m still getting these messages.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

I thought this was working after disabling that job, but I’m still getting these messages.

Check the job settings to see if email alerting is turned on and you can disable it.  I am sure you don’t want to disable the global settings.

Userlevel 3

This is how the settings are on that disabled job.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

This is how the settings are on that disabled job.

Ok so then it must be the global settings still sending the reports.  Other than modifying those to say only Success which would not send for other active jobs you may need to contact support.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Since this seems to be an AGENT type job @79schultz , check in your Inventory node > Physical Infrastructure section > then see if you have a Protection Group with this unreachable device in it. Rt-click on the Protection Group the device is in > select Properties, and then go to the Options section > Advanced button and check if Notifications are enabled for the Protection Group.

Userlevel 3

It is listed, but as far as I can tell, this is the one that is working on my laptop. The Offline that is in bold shows the same laptop.

Maybe it would be best for me to delete the job/backup (at this point my laptop is the only non-server being backed up on Veeam) and start over. Be a good learning experience (or hopefully not a bad one anyway)!

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

The one with your laptop in it?...yes. The Manually Added and Unmanaged Groups are pre-defined and for the most part cannot change hardly any properties.

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backup/agents/protection_groups_default.html?ver=120

Userlevel 3

I went through the details with a fine-toothed comb and found this. My laptop is the only computer in the Manually Added group, and I turn it off and take it home with me, so it is almost always turned off at 9:00PM. I have to leave the office for a while (probably for the weekend based on the delivery I have to take out) so won’t be seeing messages til Monday morning.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

I went through the details with a fine-toothed comb and found this. My laptop is the only computer in the Manually Added group, and I turn it off and take it home with me, so it is almost always turned off at 9:00PM. I have to leave the office for a while (probably for the weekend based on the delivery I have to take out) so won’t be seeing messages til Monday morning.

Did you check the Advanced settings button at the bottom as that is where email notifications are.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Great. If you click there on the Advanced button...on the Notifications tab, is it enabled?

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

Great. If you click there on the Advanced button...on the Notifications tab, is it enabled?

Probably the notification tab is enable. Nice guess ! 

Userlevel 3

That’s how it is set.

You gentlemen have been very helpful (and patient with a newbie). Thanks a lot! It does appear like it’s working correctly as nearly as I can tell. Maybe I’m just OCD and don’t know it. I couldn’t figure out why it kept calling my laptop a (VM) when it isn’t.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Great to hear things are working @79schultz be sure to mark an answer for this thread for others to see.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

No problems with the assist. Glad all is now well.

Cheers!

Comment