Solved

Can a hardened Linux repository be used by more than on VEEAM server?

Userlevel 3
  • Not a newbie anymore
  • 4 comments

I’ve looked for an answer and can’t seem to find one … Can a hardened Linux repository be used by more than on VEEAM server? I’ve tried it an it is working I wondered if there are any limitations or concerns to be worried about? For example both servers running backups at the same time? I can see based on directory naming I will need to be careful with job names that they are unique. Thanks for your time … 

icon

Best answer by MicoolPaul 20 June 2023, 19:04

View original

8 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Backup repositories in general are only supposed to be used by one VBR at a time if they’re being shared.

And under no circumstances share the same directory path, be sure they’re unique!

Userlevel 3

Excellent thank you MicoolPaul. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Hey @jgalea - I just want to highlight @MicoolPaul ‘s point via the Veeam documentation. Beit VHR or regular Repo, it’s still the same component, minus some extra security implementations/OS on the VHR.

Though they are “supposed” to be pointing to only 1 VBR at a time, theoretically, they can be used by more than 1. But this is not really supported.

Userlevel 3

@coolsport00, got it … Thank you both.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Sure thing.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

@jgalea Just know that if you share a repository across multiple Veeam Servers they will both need to be upgraded at the same time, or one will stop working.  Also sharing repositories is not considered best practice.

Userlevel 3

Thanks Vm.joe, that’s a good additional point. This is in a home environment using community edition, so best practices are noted, but not necessarily followed. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Even if you can I’d advise against it if possible 

Comment