Question

build VBR server on aws and using direct object storage

• 19 September 2023
  • 7 comments

Userlevel 6
Badge +1
  • Comes here often
  • 35 comments

hi, I would like to know that, could we build VBR server on AWS and backup our VM and physical on prem and store our backup file on S3 Bucket by using direct to object storage

Thank You

7 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Hi @dika  -

I don’t use Veeam for AWS, but it looks like, according to the Veeam for AWS Guide, you can’t install VBR in AWS and backup on-prem systems and direct them to an S3 bucket. But, you can install VBR on-prem and backup your on-prem devices directly to AWS. Is there a reason why you want to run VBR in AWS to backup on-prem devices?

Maybe someone else has attempted to use Veeam how you’re wanting to do so succesfully, and in a way I’m not familiar with?..and can share how to do so.

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

@coolsport00 I consider about resource on our on-prem which our on-prem system is limited and i think it will be cheaper also than buying new some hardware to install VBR server on it 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

@dika - Well, it depends. How many VMs or physical devices do you want to backup? VBR can be on a VM and not require a whole bunch of resources. You can create Windows or Linux VMs for Veeam Proxies, as well. No real need for much hardware. You can then backup your infrastructure directly to S3 if you want. Just an option.

Hi,

I assume you plan to use some sort of either agent based backup for the physical servers.

If so then you can use VBR hosted in another location such as AWS (which is different to Veeam Backup for AWS) in AWS assuming it is network accessible (ie via VPN or Direct Connect) to the source of the backups and then back those agent based backups direct to S3. You can either use an S3 Gateway VPC Endpoint (which would be suggestion) or standard endpoint via the Internet. Connectivity between the VPC hosting VBR and the Agents shouldnt rely on public IPs (internet).

Veeam Cloud Connect can also backup agents directly where it does need internet (designed for remote agents where there is no VBR and then store that backup in S3) but that requires additional infrastructure such as Cloud Gateways.

However is there a reason why you wouldn’t run the VBR on prem? Running it on prem and backing up directly to AWS S3 repository might be more efficient and reduce the backup time. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +1
this is a topology that I made

@coolsport00 I can’t install VBR server on our-prem because it’s limited

@leemurphy yes, but it’s not only physical, there are some VM that i want to backup 

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Veeam Agent will work on VMs as well as physical workstations/servers.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

I’d consider at least putting VBR on a Windows 10/Windows 11 workstation if that’s acceptable.  You can still backup to an object repository though the VBR server.  If you go this route, depending on your infrastructure, you may consider setting up a Windows or Linux proxy server on the virtual infrastructure.  You can try running in NBD (network mode) without a proxy on-host, but depending on the number of VM’s or change data, it may be better to have that on-host proxy.  But Veeam itself may not take a lot of resources and is supported to run on a workstation instead if necessary.  I would think that would be cheaper and possibly more flexible than to run it in AWS (or any cloud really) and have networking setup between the cloud location and on-premises.

Comment