Solved

BSOD: "What failed: VeeamVolumeCT.sys"

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

This is a reproducible BSOD caused by a veeam software driver

I know this is strange, but, so far, this happens on two machines in my home lab.
1. windows 11 laptop - running VAgent - 6.0.2.1090
2. windows server 2022 - running VBR - 12.0.0.1420 P20230718

Every time I plugged in my Kindle into the USB port, Windows does a BSOD
To be honest, I am very dependent on my Kindle. My old model died, just got the new one and every time I plug it in, my machine hard crashes with BSOD, on every machine I have at home.

What does the .sys file do, Is there a way to disable that .sys driver, is there a temporary workaround, anything?

Please Help, David

icon

Best answer by asdffdsa6132 2 December 2023, 03:07

View original

14 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Never seen this before. Searching the web & Veeam forums didn't retrieve much either. Have you looked at Windows Event logs? Attempted to call/email support? Even though I assume you're using free version, you can still use Support for "best effort". 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hi @asdffdsa6132, I am not sure if this information is sufficient to pinpoint the root cause of this issue. The "SYSTEM THREAD EXCEPTION NOT HANDLED" is a common error in Windows that occurs due to an outdated driver. Kindly check this or take a look at the Windows Event Viewer for more information about the error.

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

Hi, I should have mentioned that I did check Windows Event Viewer, did not find anything.
but that does not mean something is not there.

“this information is sufficient to pinpoint the root cause of this issue“
I agree, but this exact same BSOD happens on two machines, every time.
from the BSOD, always, it is that veeam .sys file.

`VeeamVolumeCT.sys` has something to do with CBT.
and I believe CBT can be disabled or perhaps ignore USB”

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

The Agent Guide shares how you can uninstall the CBT driver here. Try it & report back how things run. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

You don't have the run backup when USB device is connected turned on in the agent?  Maybe thinking it is a backup target maybe?  Only thing that comes to mind.

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

Simply plugging in the Kindle, triggers the BSOD.

So as a workaround, I did the following:

1. Using VBR, I uninstalled the CBT driver from my laptop
  2. Reboot my laptop,
  3. No more BSOD on my laptop, Kindle is connected as drive letter D:, Calibre see the Kindle.
Userlevel 7
Badge +9

2. Reboot my laptop,
  3. No more BSOD on my laptop, Kindle is connected as drive letter D:, Calibre see the Kindle.

We appreciate you informing us. Feel free to resolve any response as the best answer.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

2. Reboot my laptop,

Interesting it was the CBT driver but glad you resolved the issue.

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

Sorry for the delay, got Covid, I am better now…

so, every time I run a backup, i see the following message
“Failed to obtain changed block tracking map for volume EN10CDRIVE (C:), failing over to MFT analysis based incremental backup“

I am having a hard time understanding the practical difference between using the CBT driver and not using the CBT driver?

My current setup is a small home lab, which is used to backup one vm and one laptop.

Thanks,
David

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

If you check here you can see the statement about the CBT driver and what it does - Veeam Changed Block Tracking Driver - Veeam Agent for Microsoft Windows Guide

• The Veeam CBT driver is designed to track data blocks that changed since the last run of the backup job. If you work with a file in an application that downloads the entire file into RAM, after you save the changes, all file blocks will be overwritten. Veeam Agent backs up such a file as a whole upon the next run of the backup job.
Userlevel 5
Badge +1

So I used VBR to uninstall the CBT driver, so my laptop no longer crashes when I plug in my Kindle.

Thanks, but I am still very confused.

I get this scary warning, as I am doing something wrong and I do not understand it at all.

“Failed to obtain changed block tracking map for volume EN10CDRIVE (C:), failing over to full scan based incremental backup“

I tried to search, but ”full scan” is very generic and did not yield results.
Does a full scan mean that VAgent has to scan the entire C: volume sector by sector, file by file or scan the entire vss snapshot or what?

Also, to ask, what is the purpose the scan?
An anti-virus scanner scans for viruses.
An VAgent scans for ???

Thanks Much, David

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

So I used VBR to uninstall the CBT driver, so my laptop no longer crashes when I plug in my Kindle.

I get this scary warning, as I am doing something wrong and I do not understand it at all.

“Failed to obtain changed block tracking map for volume EN10CDRIVE (C:), failing over to full scan based incremental backup“

Does a full scan mean that VAgent has to scan the entire C: volume sector by sector, file by file or scan the entire vss snapshot or what?

An VAgent scans for ???

Thanks Much, David

It just means that it is going to scan all the blocks instead of just the changed ones that the CBT driver was being used for.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

An VAgent scans for ???

Thanks Much, David

Hi @asdffdsa6132, In order to help other users find this solution in the future very quickly, I would suggest you create a new issue

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

Thanks to all for helping.

Comment