Question

Bare-metal restore from agent backup managed by VBR fail

Userlevel 3

Hello all,

I’m trying to validate bare-metal recovery of a physical Windows 2019 server.

It is backed up by an Agent job in my VBR server (v11a, latest patch), with the agent installed on the host in version 5.0.3.4708. Backup works fine, file-level restore from VBR in the Windows system too.

I wanted to test the “worst case scenario”, so I copied the backup files on a USB drive, created recovery media from VBR, and tried to restore on a different server (different hardware). Boot media works, but when choosing backup file, I am blocked d by the message :

“Veeam Agent for Microsoft Windows is unable to open backup files created by Veeam Backup & Replication”

It looks like the post below, but as everything was recently installed and up to date, I dont know …

Am I missing something obvious ?

Any help would be really appreciated.

Regards.

27 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Next try. Created a repository for usb drives like on the original place, imported the backup copy and now i can choose the machine for bare metal recovery and the restore works!

Good to hear that you solved this one. You were right that you need to create a repository to access the files. My suggestion to import them was a bit unclear.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Next try. Created a repository for usb drives like on the original place, imported the backup copy and now i can choose the machine for bare metal recovery and the restore works!

Good to hear you were able to resolve this and needing access to the files is needed.

Comment