Solved

backup VM(Mirotik )

Userlevel 4

hi all

i have vm is Mikrotik at vmware i backup it when i restore it to other server it changed software ID it self

i want to backup the software ID cuz licenses

what can i do ?

thank you

icon

Best answer by Link State 8 April 2021, 12:11

View original

6 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Hi,
when you restore a VM to another location the ID and the MAC adresses of the NICs are changed. I don't think you can prevent this behaviour….

But I am curious if someone knows a procedure to prevent the change...

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@Ahmed Yehia: The first step is to understand what triggers the software ID to get lost. There was a good guess by @JMeixner on the MAC address.

If that is the case, you can through VMware force the mac address to something specific - see VMware documentation here: https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-vSphere/7.0/com.vmware.vsphere.networking.doc/GUID-F9243FED-F081-498F-B4A9-EF950292AF77.html

P.S. You can check what the current MAC address is of the VM and then force it in the settings to stay like this even after a restore elsewhere.

Userlevel 4

Thank you

i think no way to make that

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

This would be a question best asked of MikroTik if they support the license being transferred in this way.

Most likely it would either be the MAC address being modified which @JMeixner  and @haslund have discussed above. Otherwise (and this is a pure speculative guess) it could notice that the hardware has changed such as the CPU it’s running on is different (Intel to AMD or different CPU feature sets etc).

I’d suggest cloning the MAC addresses to see if that works but this could all be against their EULA so be careful.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

hi all

i have vm is Mikrotik at vmware i backup it when i restore it to other server it changed software ID it self

i want to backup the software ID cuz licenses

what can i do ?

thank you

you can set a static MAC on the Vmware side. If the VM.appliance is restored on the same infattructure Vmware should keep the original static MAC

@haslund  :thumbsup:

Userlevel 4

Thank you every body for help me :)

Comment