Solved

Backup VM failed

• 17 January 2023
  • 4 comments

Userlevel 1

My backup job suddenly occurred the error beloow:

Failed to pre-process the job Error: Failed to call RPC function 'FcWriteFileEx': The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable. Failed to open file [D:\Backup\Backup Job Hyper-V\Backup Job Hyper-V.vbm_1_tmp].
Error: Failed to call RPC function 'FcWriteFileEx': The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable. Failed to open file [D:\Backup\Backup Job Hyper-V\Backup Job Hyper-V.vbm_1_tmp].

Thanks a lot for any help.

icon

Best answer by Chris.Childerhose 17 January 2023, 05:08

View original

4 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

It seems the location for backups could be corrupted. I would check the logs in C:\ProgramData\Veeam to see what further information you can find on the failure.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

This appears to be a corrupted vmb (backup metadata) file.  The good news is that this isn’t entirely essential.  I would suggest renaming the vbm file so that it can create a new one.  That said, it’s going to play around with your restore points and I don’t recall exactly how.  Also, Veeam support may be able to supply you with a script to rebuild the vbm file. If you google for a corrupted vbm file, you’ll find several references to the R&D Forums and reddit for similar issues, but Support really can give you the most help for this.

Also, and maybe most importantly, you should be looking sternly at your backup repository to determine why the file could have become corrupted. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Just one more thing to add, did the Veeam server or backup proxy reboot unexpectedly during a backup job?

Userlevel 1

Yes, the location for backups is corrupted

Comment