Solved

Backup to Vultr object storage

Userlevel 2

Hi All,
I am very new to Both Veeam and Object Storage.

I have created a container in Vultr and I can connect to it with Cyberduck with no issues.

When I go to set it up in Veeam I am asked for the Region which i am not asked this in Cyberduck and so I am not 100% sure what to enter here.

Does anyone have any clue as to what this might be?

Server Endpoint: ewr1.vultrobjects.com

Region as far as I can see is: New Jersey

Anyone wanting to have a go please treat yourself to $100 credit with Vultr by using my referral code:
https://www.vultr.com/?ref=8896724-6G

Cheers,

Aaron.

icon

Best answer by MicoolPaul 14 June 2021, 10:10

View original

10 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Hi Aaron,

Region should be the name of the region service endpoint. Couldn’t find anything for Vultr specifically but check out documentation for other commonly used S3 compatible such as Wasabi.

https://wasabi-support.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/115001486671-How-do-I-use-Veeam-for-enterprise-with-Wasabi-

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Did you try leaving what Veeam defaults to as that typically works with S3 unless specifically using Amazon or Azure.

Userlevel 2

Thanks Guys,

I am trying to add it the following Method:

When I go to load the buckets I get this error:

Using cyberduck I am not asked for the region and it connects fine.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Thanks Guys,

I am trying to add it the following Method:

When I go to load the buckets I get this error:

Using cyberduck I am not asked for the region and it connects fine.

Hi @aaronf, your error says “InvalidAccessKey”, can you check your credentials?

Userlevel 2

:weary:
I am sure I already did that but hey it worked this time!

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Nice to see you got it working @aaronf 

Userlevel 2

After all that it looks like Veeam Community edition does not support backing up to S3 :disappointed_relieved:

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

After all that it looks like Veeam Community edition does not support backing up to S3 :disappointed_relieved:

Yes, only restoring from a object storage is possible on Community Edition.

You will need at least enterprise edition to offload backup data to object storage.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

@aaronf get a 30 day trial key to see if it does what you want and then depending on the amount of VMs etc you need to protect you could look at the Veeam Universal License or if you’re on the smaller side (which I assume you are as the community edition protects a limited number of instances) the Veeam Backup Essentials option

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

@aaronf get a 30 day trial key to see if it does what you want and then depending on the amount of VMs etc you need to protect you could look at the Veeam Universal License or if you’re on the smaller side (which I assume you are as the community edition protects a limited number of instances) the Veeam Backup Essentials option

Great suggestion 👍

Comment