Solved

Backup Linux SQL Server

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Hello Veeamers,

I read the veeam docs and i don’t see any references to MSSQL on Linux.

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backup/explorers/vesql_systemreqs.html?ver=110

Am I the only one to have this gift on production on VM? Except VM backup, it will be old fashioned way for DBA to play with backup on it.

icon

Best answer by StefanZi 1 June 2021, 08:51

View original

5 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

A colleague of mine is using a Linux MSSQL Server as the configuration DB Server in his Home Lab. So far, it’s working. But I don’t think it’s supported :D

Backup will not work of course, I don’t think there are similar integration like VSS at the moment.

Userlevel 6
Badge +3

Oh .. they do really exist. I never encountered one at my customers so far, and yes, you won’t find native support for it in Veeam.

You could still go and use pre- and post-scripting, e.g. to create a DB snapshot and flush everything to disk before taking the VM snapshot. You could also truncate logs in the post-script after taking the backup.

It is not that sexy as with native Veeam integration of course, but depending on your use cases it might be better than dumping SQL baks.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Very exotic 😎

I think you can work with scripts.

Hi,

I was wondering if there has been any update on this? Or is the scripts the only option at the moment?

Cheers 😀

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

No update.

Scripts are still the way to go.

Best,

Fabian

Comment