Solved

Backup Job Error: The credentials supplied to the package were not recognized

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hello guys! 

It’s the first time I got this error message in one of my backup jobs. I got it in random virtual machines, after a retry the backup is ok.

I check the logs:
On the VBR I have this:
“Error        Failed to construct ClientAgentProtocol. (Veeam.Backup.Common.CRegeneratedTraceException)
[27.03.2023 10:06:42.851] <46> Error           at Veeam.Backup.Common.CExceptionUtil.RegenTraceExc(Exception originalExc, String formatString, Object[] args)
[27.03.2023 10:06:42.851] <46> Error           at Veeam.Backup.AgentProvider.CClientAgentProtocol..ctor(CBaseAgentService svc, Boolean redirectOutput, Version version, IAgentProtocolLogger logger, IOutputAnalyzer outputAnalyzer)
[27.03.2023 10:06:42.851] <46> Error           at Veeam.Backup.AgentProvider.CClientAgentProtocol..ctor(CAutoRef`1 svcRef, Boolean redirectOutput, Version version, IAgentProtocolLogger logger)
[27.03.2023 10:06:42.851] <46> Error           at Veeam.Backup.AgentProvider.CProxyAgent.StartClientInternal(IProxyAgent proxyAgent, IAgentEndPoint agentEndPoint, Boolean redirectOutput, IClientConnectionFactory connFactory, IAgentProtocolLogger logger)
[27.03.2023 10:06:42.851] <46> Error           at Veeam.Backup.AgentProvider.CProxyAgent.StartClient(IProxyAgent proxyAgent, IAgentEndPoint agentEndPoint, Boolean redirectOutput, IClientConnectionFactory connFactory, IAgentProtocolLogger logger)
[27.03.2023 10:06:42.851] <46> Error           at Veeam.Backup.Core.CBackupMetaTransfer.StartLocalIndexAgent()
[27.03.2023 10:06:42.851] <46> Error           at Veeam.Backup.Core.CBackupMetaTransfer..ctor(IVmBackupTask task, ITaskSource taskSource, IBackupTaskTarget vmBackupTarget)
[27.03.2023 10:06:42.851] <46> Error           at Veeam.Backup.Core.CBackupMetaTransfer.Process(IVmBackupTask task, ITaskSource taskSource, IBackupTaskTarget vmTarget, CBackupSet meta4Backup)
[27.03.2023 10:06:42.851] <46> Error           at Veeam.Backup.Core.CBackupVmTransferAlg.AfterDisksTransfer(CBackupSet backupSet, Boolean succeeded)
[27.03.2023 10:06:42.851] <46> Error           at Veeam.Backup.Core.CTaskProcessor.ProcessTask(IVmBackupTask task, ITasksScheduler tasksScheduler, LogStorage logStorage, IStopSessionSync stopSessionControl, Boolean disableParallelProcessing)
[27.03.2023 10:06:42.851] <46> Error           at Veeam.Backup.Core.CViBackupVmAlg.TransferData(IVmBackupTask task, IViTaskSource taskSource, IBackupTaskTarget taskTarget, LogStorage logStorage)
[27.03.2023 10:06:42.851] <46> Error           at Veeam.Backup.Core.CViBackupVmAlg.Execute(IVmBackupTask task)
[27.03.2023 10:06:42.851] <46> Error        Failed to connect to agent 'VBR', EP '10.XX.XX.XX:2500' (System.Exception)
[27.03.2023 10:06:42.851] <46> Error           at Veeam.Backup.AgentProvider.CSocketAgentService.Start(Boolean redirectOutput)
[27.03.2023 10:06:42.851] <46> Error           at Veeam.Backup.AgentProvider.CClientAgentProtocol..ctor(CBaseAgentService svc, Boolean redirectOutput, Version version, IAgentProtocolLogger logger, IOutputAnalyzer outputAnalyzer)
[27.03.2023 10:06:42.851] <46> Error        The credentials supplied to the package were not recognized (System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception)
[27.03.2023 10:06:42.851] <46> Error           at System.Net.SSPIWrapper.AcquireCredentialsHandle(SSPIInterface SecModule, String package, CredentialUse intent, SecureCredential2 scc)
[27.03.2023 10:06:42.851] <46> Error           at System.Net.Security.SecureChannel.AcquireCredentialsHandle(CredentialUse credUsage, SecureCredential2& secureCredential)
[27.03.2023 10:06:42.851] <46> Error           at System.Net.Security.SecureChannel.AcquireCredentialsHandle(CredentialUse credUsage, X509Certificate2 selectedCert, Flags flags)
[27.03.2023 10:06:42.851] <46> Error           at System.Net.Security.SecureChannel.AcquireClientCredentials(Byte[]& thumbPrint)”

I don’t really get it, I use a San Proxy, in the log I don’t see anything special.
Have any of you encountered this error before?

icon

Best answer by Dolny 9 May 2023, 14:06

View original

12 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Never seen this one before.  Odd that is worked on second try you would think it would not.

Userlevel 2

Hello,

I have the same error in two different installations:

A:

• 3 Node VSAN 8 Cluster
  • Physical Veeam B&R v12 (upgraded from v12) Server - Windows Server 2022 (preinstalled by Dell) - local storage for primary backup target
  • virtaul windows server 2022 core backup proxys are used for hotadd backup

B:

• 2 Node HyperV Failover Cluster - Windows Server 2022
  • Physical Veeam B&R v12 (fresh v12) Server - Windows Server 2022 (preinstalled by Dell) - local storage for primary backup target
  • Backup proxy: Onhost

In case A the error message startet after upgrading to v12. In Case B it was present from the beginning.

I tested the following:

• disabling firewall that may interrupt
  • disabling antivirus
  • redeploy veeam server certificate
  • different network configurations / adapters on the hyperV host (SET / nicteam)
  • created network dumps with wireshark

When I increase the number of parallel workloads per proxy the error happens more often. Didnt had to time to reduce simultanus workloads to 1 for testing reasons. 

@Stabz do you have a preinstalled Windows from Dell on the backupserver too?

I have opened two support cases, but no solution yet. Have you opened a case?

Userlevel 2

The error wont show when I decrease simultaneous workloads on each proxy to 1(maybe just lucky). But thats not a solution. Backup takes more than 5 times longer this way.

Userlevel 1

Hello,

I have the same issue after upgrading in V12

• Random errors ​​​​​​“The credentials supplied to the package were not recognized”
  • I can say if there is a lot of jobs running (10+), I will have this error on backup (agent vmware, hyperv...) and backup copy jobs all types.
  • Decrease simultaneous workloads is a workaround but not a solution : I postponed my backup copy and increase retry number on each backup jobs. 
  • I had this error too when trying to restore one file on random servers.

I already opened a case since 27 march but for the moment : no solution : Case #05973708

Userlevel 1

Hello,

Guys did you get a high latency in your Veeam Console and on the global VBR Server when you have multiple jobs in the same time ? I made this weard link…

When I launch 5-6 backup copy jobs and then 1 backup job, backup job will get errors about “credentials etc...”

I’m on a SQL Express Instance with 5go of database so, i’m not reaching the 10go limits.

Kind Regards.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hello guys,

Yes my repository is a Dell server with a preinstall Windows Server 2022.
The VBR is a virtual machine. 

I created a support Case the first feedback was to check if any firewall rules could be block the traffic, but my servers are in the same vLan.

I just asked to have an update on my case.

I didn't notice any latency but I never launch a lot simultaneous jobs

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hey guys
new feedback from veeam support:
“I have been investigating this type of issue internally and it seems like the same behavior has been reported a a couple of times and this type of issue is still under research in order to find out if this is some fault on VBR side. What I would like to advise as a suggestions is to try and regenerate the Veeam self signed certificate as per the procedure described at the following page of the user guide - https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backup/vsphere/self_signed_tls.html?ver=120
 After re-generating it run the jobs normally and let us know if the same issue appears.”

So the problem is still under investigation. I didn’t try to reset the certificate yet. 

Userlevel 2

I regenerated the certificate already. Same behavior. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hello @Dolny thanks for you feedback :)

Userlevel 2

Finally an update! I have received a private hotfix. So far everything seems to work. I will keep an eye on it for some days. If you have the discribed issue maybe reffer support case #05956183 for a faster troubleshooting when you contact veeam support.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hello @Dolny glad to hear that Veeam found and fix the problem!

I had the same issue and was instructed to download and install this patch.

https://storage.veeam.com/Fix_510041_69cf0c712c.zip

Comment