Solved

Backup failure

• 11 September 2022
  • 9 comments

Userlevel 2

Running Veeam free version for Linux on Dell Optiplex 5060, OS is Linux Mint Mate 20.3.  Just setting up this machine and moving from an older Dell pc.  In old pc, ran Veeam free version for years of weekly b/u’s, no issues.  Veeam downloaded and installed via Synaptic and set for full system image, target is ext. HDD, USB connection to computer.

In new machine, 5 b/u’s have failed, see s/shot.  Targets were 2 different 1tb ext. disks,  each formatted to FAT32, exFAT, and then EXT4.  One of the disks is the same one used for the backup chain in the old pc, no problems..  All failed attempts show the same bottleneck, “source” after running for 2 to 8 minutes.  Not clear what to do here since no previous snags w/ Veeam.   Any suggestions appreciated!

icon

Best answer by Mildur 11 September 2022, 16:26

View original

9 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Snapshot overflow normally means, changes while the backup is running cannot be written to the delta file. 

Just as a side note, Linux Mint is not supported today with the Veeam Agent for Linux. I wouldn‘t invest to much time to analyze this situation. 

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/agentforlinux/userguide/system_requirements.html?ver=50

Thanks

Fabian

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Was the Linux on the older PC the same version if not then I would follow Mildur's advice above. ☝️

Userlevel 2

Both computers have the same pkgs installed, see s/shot.  When b/us are running, my practice has always been to do nothing else.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

I meant the OS version is that the same?  Maybe post something on the forums or open a support ticket. If the old system worked and the new one does not there is something that is different within the OS is my guess.  Maybe kernel version? Just a guess at this point.

Userlevel 2

Thanks for posting.  Sorry to misread.  Old OS is 19.2.  Current OS 20.3.  Soon to update to 21 when bugs are addressed by developers.  Is it legit to open a support ticket since I run the free version of Veeam?

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Thanks for posting.  Sorry to misread.  Old OS is 19.2.  Current OS 20.3.  Soon to update to 21 when bugs are addressed by developers.  Is it legit to open a support ticket since I run the free version of Veeam?

Yes but it is a best effort for support with the free version. Maybe posting on the forum also?  So the OS change is my guess on why issues are happening but hopefully support can confirm it.

Userlevel 2

Thanks for instant response.

it is a best effort for support with the free version  Not sure what you mean by this- Not familiar with this site- 1st time here.  Could you please point me just where to go here for assistance?

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

With a free version of the Veeam agebt for Linux you will get best- effort support from Veeam only. This means the support will work on your case if they have time.

With a paid license you get support with defined SLAs.

So, yes, you can open a support case, but you don't have a defined respose time for example…

And one question to your issue. As it seems that the changes cannot be written to the snapshot after approximately 7 - 8 minutes, do you have very little free space on your disks in this PC?

Userlevel 2

And one question to your issue. As it seems that the changes cannot be written to the snapshot after approximately 7 - 8 minutes, do you have very little free space on your disks in this PC?

The pc disk is 500GB, 36GB used.  The target disks (1tb) are both wiped, no data

Comment