Solved

Backup copy job to rotatable drive from File shares

Userlevel 1
  • Not a newbie anymore
  • 2 comments

Is there any way to successfully produce a backup copy job of a set of file shares to a rotate set of USB drives that will be swapped out weekly? If not through the mechanic of the backup copy function maybe another way?

Thanks,

T

icon

Best answer by Mildur 22 March 2023, 15:02

View original

5 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Backup Copy jobs are typically for making copies of regular backup jobs or from a repository with VBK/VIB files.  As per here - How Repository with Rotated Drives Works - User Guide for VMware vSphere (veeam.com)

I have never tested using rotated drives with a repo so am unsure whether file share backups will work at all to them.  File Share backups are done differently with metadata and the actual file shares being backed up so I am not sure you can use this method with rotated drives.

If the file shares are on a file server that is backed up, then that would be the way I might look at this for your purpose and requirement.  Would make things much easier.

Userlevel 1

Thanks for the response Chris.

The file shares are on a QNAP NAS.  I am looking for a way to get a rotatable off-site backup from the NAS using good old Hard Drives.  Cloud is not viable at the moment.

T

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@terryB

You can use Rotated Disks Repositories in Veeam Backup & Replication v12 for File Share Backup Jobs. As primary Backup Repository or as a secondary Backup Repository (backup copy). It was not possible before (v10/v11).

Best,

Fabian

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

@terryB

You can use Rotated Disks Repositories in Veeam Backup & Replication v12 for File Share Backup Jobs. As primary Backup Repository or as a secondary Backup Repository (backup copy). It was not possible before (v10/v11).

Best,

Fabian

I figured as much for v12 but wanted to ensure it would work.  Thanks for responding @Mildur as I figured you would.  😀

Userlevel 1

Well, there it is.  Thank you.  I will give that a try.

T

Comment