Solved

Backup across separate networks/domains

• 27 February 2023
  • 8 comments

Userlevel 2
  • Not a newbie anymore
  • 5 comments

The company I work for has recently taken over another, with each having its own network, domain & Veeam B&R setup.  One side (A) is mostly broken from the backup side with B&R installed on an ancient server and the repository using the same storage as VMs which has quickly filled up.  A & B live in the same data center, connected through their own firewalls.  My first thought to fix this mess is to remove the broken B&R completely from A (remove from hosts etc) and use the working sides (B) B&R, utilising a Veeam proxy installed in A.  Any thoughts or suggestions?  Would the firewall only need to be opened between B&R in B and proxy in A?

icon

Best answer by Chris.Childerhose 27 February 2023, 01:47

View original

8 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Yes firewall would need to be opened but also you need an administrative account to back up the A side. Also are you going to move the backups from A to B?  If so you will need to import them in to the B side in order to continue the backup chain unless the idea is to start over and age out the A side backups.  Many things to think of based on your expected outcome.

Userlevel 2

I was aiming to start from scratch with backups, most have been failing on/off for a while so no real loss.  Admin access is no problem, does the firewall just need to be opened between B&R and Proxy server?

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Yes that but there will be others.  Check this page in the help for ports used - https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backup/vsphere/used_ports.html?ver=120

Userlevel 2

Just been reading through the documentation for proxies and getting myself a bit confused.  Environment ‘A’ is a Hyper-V environment with four hosts, the Veeam B&R server in A is an old physical server which needs to be scrapped.  Do I need a physical server separate to the HV hosts to use as a proxy to backup to Veeam B?

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

No. With Hyper-V the hosts themselves will act as the proxy. Just add them (or the cluster) to the VBR at side B and you're good to go.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hello @AndyO 

The needed ports to opened:

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backup/vsphere/used_ports.html?ver=120

Also, I recommended to used the old storage in site A as a secondary storage for backup copy with Veeam Harden linux repo. to apply 3-2-1-1-0 rule.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Just been reading through the documentation for proxies and getting myself a bit confused.  Environment ‘A’ is a Hyper-V environment with four hosts, the Veeam B&R server in A is an old physical server which needs to be scrapped.  Do I need a physical server separate to the HV hosts to use as a proxy to backup to Veeam B?

There are two modes for Hyper-V proxies, on-host (which Hyper-V itself) and off-host proxy (Which another windows machine with Hyper-V role installed). The main factor for choose on-host proxy that the host compute utilization is < 50% , more than that use off-host mode. For more details:

https://bp.veeam.com/vbr/2_Design_Structures/D_Veeam_Components/D_backup_proxies/hyperv_proxies.html

Userlevel 2

Thanks very much for all the help everyone!

Comment