Solved

B&R Community Edition Bare Metal Restore fails on Server 2019

Userlevel 2
  • Not a newbie anymore
  • 4 comments

Hi to all.

I am sorry as the question was asked already, but it is hard for me to understand the resolution.

I've been working with Veeam Community Edition for some time and I'm generally satisfied when it comes to restoring virtual machines.

But I have one server, which is also the the Veeam Backup server AND it has other applications running. I am aware that this is not a recommanded configuration.

I have a big problem: On the Windows server 2019 where Veeam Community Edition (VeeamBackup&Replication_12.0.0.1420_P20230718)  is installed, I also back up the physical server.

I can also create a USB boot stick in the Community Edition by right-clicking on the backup copy. This boot stick (Recovery Media 6.0.2) then also starts and you can search for your backup file. If you then selected the corresponding file, the following message appears: "Veeam Agent for Microsoft Windows is unable to open backup files created by Veeam Backup & Replication".

So I have a backup, but I can't use it.

I have read this one:

But I do not understand, what was done at the end.

Maybe someone here knows the solution. Thanks very much.

icon

Best answer by GSausH 23 August 2023, 13:30

View original

13 comments

Userlevel 2

This is the content of the USB-SSD (Backup Copy)

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Check out this post which is about older versions of Veeam but was related to agent versus VBR versions.

https://community.veeam.com/discussion-boards-66/veeam-agent-for-microsoft-windows-is-unable-to-open-backup-files-created-by-veeam-backup-replication-1693

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

I think what the Community post you shared advised was placing your backup not on a USB, but in a Share location used as a Repo solely for your VAW backup files. You can then begin your restore using a USB of your recovery ISO. Then, during the Restore, you can point to the Share and (hopefully) recover your server.

Userlevel 2

Many thanks to Chris.Childerhoue and to coolsport00

I thought I could resolve this in a matter of hours, but it seems to take me much more time than expected.

The earliest I can resume working on this is the week of August 21.

Can we put it on hold until I have tested that 2 suggestions.

I will come back to report

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Sure; just keep us posted when you’re able.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Absolutely. Be sure to come back and let us know how it goes.  Hopefully one of the suggestions work.

Userlevel 2

Check out this post which is about older versions of Veeam but was related to agent versus VBR versions.

https://community.veeam.com/discussion-boards-66/veeam-agent-for-microsoft-windows-is-unable-to-open-backup-files-created-by-veeam-backup-replication-1693

Hi Chris! This is not the solution, I will try the other solution now

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Hi Chris! This is not the solution, I will try the other solution now

Sounds good. Let us know.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Thanks for the update. Let us know if you get things working.

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

Hello, 

You did it ? Let us know what you done. 

Userlevel 2

Hi!
OK, I made it, but a little bit different than I originally thought.
I used a laptop, installed B&R connected the external Disk, created a repository and connected it to the main repository.

Then created a recovery token.

Started the new hardware from usb-stick, accessed the external repository via network and started the recovery (I leave out the steps for password protection)

The server with all data including a 2nd disk was recovered fine on new hardware.

After 2 restarts the active directory was also operational.

Now I have a way thats working for me and the case can be closed.

Thanks to all people helping me.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Great to hear you found the solution to the issue.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Thanks for posting what you did.

Comment