Solved

azure blob storage difference

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hey Guys,

In a customer environment where I deployed Veeam, I setup azure blob and added as SOBR, I found that in backup server used space for azure blob is 597 GB but in azure portal it is shown to be 1.8 TB. I am running two backups(file and VM). Can anyone tell what could be wrong?

icon

Best answer by Rick Vanover 12 May 2022, 15:33

View original

10 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Do you have some minimal retention times for you objects in azure? So, that some objects are deleted for Veeam but are still present and are accounted in Azure…

This is the case for example with Wasabi. It has a minimal object retention of 90 days...

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Do you have some minimal retention times for you objects in azure? So, that some objects are deleted for Veeam but are still present and are accounted in Azure…

This is the case for example with Wasabi. It has a minimal object retention of 90 days...

We have retention period of 3 days in veeam. Are you talking about retention we set in storage account?

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

We have retention period of 3 days in veeam. Are you talking about retention we set in storage account?

Yes, I do.
And with some object storage vendors you have a minimal retention time for all of your objects which you cannot decrease. In my example with Wasabi, all objects are accounted for 90 days regardless what you configure… So, it is not the best choice for data with a retention time in Veeam of several days only.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Are you using hot/cool or archive tier for the backups btw?

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Yes, I do.
And with some object storage vendors you have a minimal retention time for all of your objects which you cannot decrease. In my example with Wasabi, all objects are accounted for 90 days regardless what you configure… So, it is not the best choice for data with a retention time in Veeam of several days only.

So do I have to reduce the retention in object storage?

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Are you using hot/cool or archive tier for the backups btw?

Cool Tier

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Seems that there is no such policy in Azure….

Then I think you have to tune some settings in Azure. I don’t have an Azure account, so I cannot say much about the settings.

And keep in mind that Veeam deletes complete backup chains only. So there will be more data in your repository than you calculate with you retention setting….

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

From what you’ve described, I can’t think why this would be the case. Are you sharing the storage account with anything other than the Veeam backups?

If not, we’d need to see more information on the Azure storage account configuration and the SOBR offloading and retention configuration.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @Anandu and @JMeixner 

How to configure retention in Azure blob? - Veeam R&D Forums this:

Capacity tier (Azure Blob) always use the retention of the backup jobs. If you want to have only 7 days on your Performance tier (onpremise), you need to use move policy in the SOBR. With the move Policy, backup files will be moved from onpremise to Azure Blob as soon there are outside of the configured restore operational windows. And because you want to have 30 days backups in the Azure, you need to configure your backup job to retain 30 days of backups.
For using the move policy, you need to make sure that your backup jobs are sealed. So you need to create weekly synthetic full. Because how synthetic fulls are working, you will have slightly more restore points than 30 days or 7 days on premise. This is explained here.

full doc guide MS: Back up your data to Azure with Veeam - Azure Storage | Microsoft Docs

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Is Azure blob soft delete enabled on the blob container? That’s now on by default for containers (didn’t use to be that way). It’s not supported for Veeam B&R’s capacity tier.

Comment