Azure, Amazons and then Wasabi..?

Userlevel 5
Badge

We have been using Amazon S3 with immutability for years and its been working great at every restore, both in test and in production. 

But I must admit I have been waiting a long time for the Microsoft Azure Immutability to be in place and now with V12 it seems be at rest, at last! 🙂 It will make it more streamlined since we can buy/subscribe the Azure Plan at our NCE/CSP-distributor at it will automatically fall under the customers name which then again will be in place on the monthylt bill. Great!

But then I just started to read about Wasabi which really seems like an affordable solution, and even at much better pricing than Amazon/Azure.. How is that even possible..? With the V12 they have also appeared in the UI for the object storage and I guess they are know among the most interesting companies.

I was wondering if anyone have any experience with Wasabi, and how you are comparing the offers/pricing from Azure, Amazon and Wasabi? As a Microsoft-shop we try to standardize as much we can on 365/Azure but of course, for backup, there is no way we would leave Veeam to backup our data. And since Veeam also seems to like Wasabi, well, thats interesting for my choice too...

21 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hey @FrankIversen ! All Veeam 100 members have experience with that! Wasabi offered them some free storage :) 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

We're more and more using Wasabi with Veeam and so far it's really working good. Performance is great (had 2Gbit/s restores from Wasabi to Azure), support is responsive and especially their pricing is attractive. You'll pay more with AWS and Azure, depending on which tier you chose and if you plan to access offloaded backups regularly. I think only for long term storage you could be cheaper with an archive tier as long as you don't restore from it.

It's often mentioned that Wasabi is one of the most used object storage solutions with Veeam. That's the reason they got their one section in the GUI.

Also pinging @drews, if you have any questions.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Yes, Wasabi is a very easy and straightforward object storage solution to use and is really affordable.

We have done some smaller projects with them and there were no problems up to now. Based on these experiences we think about some bigger installations in the future.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Have been using Wasabi even before the offer we all got from them for free storage.  Works great, easy to set up, configuration is easy and it just works extremely well with Veeam. Allows me to test both non-immutable and immutability at the same time.

I have set up accounts for AWS and Azure but never really used them it was more for examples in my books. 😎

Userlevel 5
Badge

We have appx 30 TB data in Amazon and was somehow expecting perhaps 700 USD in month for this in Amazon. But from the invoices we see that the data itself costs 688 USD (Pretty good estimate though!) but we also get 458$ in extra billing for requests:

$0.005 per 1,000 PUT, COPY, POST, or LIST requests

91,752,443.000 Requests

$458.76

With wasabi, will there be no cost for this requests, just a fixed price of 5.99USD pr. 1TB?

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Yes, 5,99$ per TB. No Ingress and no Egress costs.

Userlevel 5
Badge

no ingress, no egress, no PUT, COPY, POST, or LIST requests either?

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Yes, you only pay for the consumed storage per TB. Just keep in mind that Wasabi has a Minimum Storage Duration Policy:

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

no ingress, no egress, no PUT, COPY, POST, or LIST requests either?

It is a fixed price per TB

https://wasabi.com/

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

I can say it works very well, we did a webinar a few months ago for the VUG Spain community and it was great.

the Minimum storage time is normally 90 days, but if you find a reseller / partner selling the service, the time decreases normally to 60 days, and depending on where you leave, you got invoices from local country, or the EU, so you can reduce the taxes monthly or yearly.

cheers.

Userlevel 5
Badge

Yes, you only pay for the consumed storage per TB. Just keep in mind that Wasabi has a Minimum Storage Duration Policy:

@regnor Does that mean if a customer would use 500GB we would be charge 3.50? And if they consume 1,5TB it would be appx. 10.50?

Or is it pr. started TB? And f.ex 1,5TB would mean actually 2TB and 11.98?

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

The later one, you pay per started TB.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

And technically, it’s priced at 5.99/TB/Month, but it’s billed out at the per GB level, so if you have 1.5TB, you’re not paying for 2TB, you’re paying for 1,500 GB or thereabouts.

And yes...dirt cheap.  Which makes it a pretty easy sell to my clients in most cases.  There’s obviously still a place for VCC data, but that is much more expensive than object-storage.  Between our internal use and my current clients, we’re pretty small at the moment with just under 50TB (haven’t made the jump to RCS (Reserved Capacity Storage) just yet, but we’re very close and I check at the beginning of over month to see if we’ve hit that threshold to where it makes sense to move to RCS.  Support has been great, Drew has been great, and the product is great.  I’ve been using it since before we got 1TB free as part of the Veeam 100, but I had just setup my account and was in in the 30 day trial period when I found out about it, so my personal data resides in a Wasabi bucket as well and I haven’t paid a dime for it yet.  I use it for both my Veeam deployment at home, as well as to backup my Wordpress blog.

Also interesting, but Wasabi is coming out with newer products as well.  For instance, I just attended a webinar last week for extending CCTV VMS/DVR systems to Wasabi for additional storage capacity (Surveilance Cloud).  They have a product for creating a cloud-drive type storage that creates a virtual disk on a server that extends to the Wasabi cloud (Cloud NAS).

My point is, they’ve started out with a great product at a great price without having to figure out what all the API call’s are going to cost you, so it’s pretty predictable, and they’re innovating new products from there.  I highly recommend checking them out.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

The later one, you pay per started TB.

I can’t say for the first TB, but below is a sample of my last months bill.  They calculate the total number of GB days (how many GB per day for all days of the month) and multiply by the cost per GB per day based on $5.99/TB/Mo ($5.99/1024 (convert to GB)/30 (days in the month) = $0.00019499/GB/day.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@dloseke@FrankIversen Maybe I was wrong, also the FAQ is stating the same as Derek says. Only the 1st TB will always be billed.

https://wasabi.com/paygo-pricing-faq

Need to check that when I'm back at work though 🤔

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Hi @FrankIversen, Yes, Wasabi has been working great with Veeam, both VBR Server and Veeam Agent are now fully supported:

https://wasabi-support.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/12416317294619

https://wasabi-support.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360039620632-How-do-I-use-Veeam-with-Wasabi

speed wise and cost is also good in my region (Australia East).

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

I was using the object storage integration since it first appeared (4 years ao) and we were using azure blob storage back then. Half a year later I saw wasabi and realized that the pricing was unbeatable. So we switched to wasabi, but they became victim of their own success in that phase, which has led to some performance issues - but they were able to fix it and within the last 3 years it has been a very stable, reliable, fast and cheap object storage. 

I can recommand it to everyone. Don’t waste your money, use wasabi.

Userlevel 3
Badge

@FrankIversen It is true - you only pay for the capacity you use. NO egress fees. NO API fees (put/get/etc.) Our pricing is predictable and our customers like it that way. That means that when you test your Veeam backups (always a good idea!) there will not be additional fees. The trial is 30 days and it is fully functional, so you can try out all the new v12 features, no credit card required. If you need more time for a trial, drop me a line at dschlussel@wasabi.com and I’ll get you an extension.

Userlevel 3
Badge

@FrankIversen forgot to mention that Veeam customers only have a 30 day minimum retention benefit.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

@FrankIversen forgot to mention that Veeam customers only have a 30 day minimum retention benefit.

This is one of the best things with Wasabi I find and there are other ways to ensure retention based on your SLA and how you configure things too.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

This is one of the best things with Wasabi I find and there are other ways to ensure retention based on your SLA and how you configure things too.

The minimum retention policy is only about the billing for the storage. If you delete data before the 30 days it's still gone, but you will pay for the rest of the days.

Comment