Solved

Agent is managed by another veeam server

Userlevel 3
  • Not a newbie anymore
  • 8 comments

Ok, I had a test server which I used to test out Windows Agent backups.

I’ve now built a more robust server to handle veeam (community edition as we only have a few servers), when I try to backup the same server, I get:

I’ve removed the backup jobs, and uninstalled the agent both using the old server and manually going into Add/Remove programs, yet the same problem exists. I’ve also added the registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Veeam\Veeam Backup and Replication AgentDiscoveryIgnoreOwnership DWORD=1

Still no joy.  When I go into the registry editor on the machine in question, I can see why Veeam is having a problem.  The values in BackupServerIPAddress, JobSettings, and VBRServerName are all pointing to the wrong server.

I’m loathed to start deleting this key.  What do I do to ensure this server I wish to backup now has the correct agent installed?

Regards

Ian

icon

Best answer by Mildur 8 June 2023, 10:14

View original

10 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

If I am not mistaken you can change those keys to the new VBR server you want to manage the server.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

V12 has a new key to takeover the ownership of managed Agents. The key you have mentioned is only valid for pre-v12 deployments.

https://forums.veeam.com/post476862.html#p476862

After you have used the key:

• make sure the old backup server is shutdown
  • remove the key immediately after takeover of the ownership

Best,

Fabian

Userlevel 3

So these other keys won’t be relevent in particular VBRServerID?

It seems a little strange to me that to change veeam server that is backing up a server relies on manual editing on registry keys.  And that there isn’t a more simple or robust way of managing what must surely be a relative common scenario whereby Veeam servers are migrated etc?

Userlevel 3

Does the old backup server just have to be shutdown for this process, as I’m still using it as a sort of lab?

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Add the new v12 key to your VBR server. And then add the Agent to the protection group.

The agent should then be switched to the new backup server and those registry key updated to reflect that.

A manual update of those 2-3 keys is not required.

Best,

Fabian

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Does the old backup server just have to be shutdown for this process, as I’m still using it as a sort of lab?

I think it needs to be for the takeover then after that you can turn it back on.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

If the old backup server still thinks the agent is managed by him, then you may face new issues. Two server accessing the same agent will lead to problems. That‘s why it is not recommended to use the key to force the ownership takeover and then still use the old server.

I recommend a new installation of Veeam with a fresh database if you want to use it as a lab server.

Best,

Fabian

Userlevel 3

Morning.  

Thanks for all your comments.

So just to confirm.

I shut down my old test server.

On the new test server, I added the following registry key:

Restarted the server, and re-installed the agent.  All worked successfully.

Removed the key above and restarted.

Thanks for all your support

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Hi @Ian C 

Thank you for the update.
I’m glad the key helped.

Best,

Fabian

Hi Mildur ,

Does the “ProtectionGroupIgnoreOwner” key only work for the backup job which protected computer contains a “protection group” but not a “individual computer”? 

Does we must add the protected computer to the protection group?

Thanks a lot.

Add the new v12 key to your VBR server. And then add the Agent to the protection group.

The agent should then be switched to the new backup server and those registry key updated to reflect that.

A manual update of those 2-3 keys is not required.

Best,

Fabian

Comment