Solved

Addtional Resources - CPU and RAM

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

We have VBR BAAS, provisioned in VM, initially we sized  it with the server inventory provided. How can I know or what will be the basis if I need to add addtional cpu or ram in the veeam backup server?

for example: addtional 10vms added in the job will add 2 cpu and 2gb ram?

icon

Best answer by Chris.Childerhose 6 October 2021, 02:53

View original

6 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

There are a variety of reasons. Check here as it will help - https://bp.veeam.com/vbr

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

@Chris.Childerhose has given an awesome resource there. One of the best ways to think about this is concurrency. More CPUs mean more parallel tasks, but each task needs RAM and don’t forget your repository needs to be able to handle the extra concurrent writes.

If your additional VMs were in a separate job in a separate time window then provided the resources could process both jobs in their respective time windows, you’d be fine!

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

@JustineP The BP guide is definitely the place to look for answers but one quick thing I will mention right off is in terms of proxy sizing. If you are doing an all in one VM with both VBR server and active proxy roles hosted together something to watch is “are you able to maintain your job window requirements?” While the textbook answer may well be to add resources or not add resources at a given threshold scale up and scale out is often the solution when you aren’t hitting your desired time frames. As long as you are meeting them I would be hesitant to dedicate more resources to it.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

@JustinePThe BP guide is definitely the place to look for answers but one quick thing I will mention right off is in terms of proxy sizing. If you are doing an all in one VM with both VBR server and active proxy roles hosted together something to watch is “are you able to maintain your job window requirements?” While the textbook answer may well be to add resources or not add resources at a given threshold scale up and scale out is often the solution when you aren’t hitting your desired time frames. As long as you are meeting them I would be hesitant to dedicate more resources to it.

This is another great point to consider.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi to understand where a possible bottleneck exists I personally verify this information.

webinar link:  Veeam Backup and Replication Sizing Best Practices

gl

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Hi to understand where a possible bottleneck exists I personally verify this information.

webinar link:  Veeam Backup and Replication Sizing Best Practices

gl

Yeah that webinar was great for this kind of situation.

Comment