Toronto Public Library service offline until 2024 :(

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

A huge ransomware attack on the Library system of North America’s 4th largest city 😓. It happened a few weeks ago but was devastating. It would be interesting to know what backups they had and how they were setup. 

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/toronto-public-library-cybersecurity-attack-services-restored-january-1.7038567

10 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hope they had a good backup/dr plan

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Hope they had a good backup/dr plan

Judging by how long it will take to get services backup.. I don’t know. I don’t think there is any instant recovery here that is for certain. Unless they are concerned that the attackers got access before the backup retention and just sat tight watching. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

The British Library was also targeted back in Oct

https://www.theregister.com/2023/11/20/rhysida_claims_british_library_ransomware/

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Wow that definitely is not good.  Maybe someone needs to contact them about Veeam. 😁

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Wow that definitely is not good.  Maybe someone needs to contact them about Veeam. 😁

Yeah I mean where are those sales reps when you really need them 🤣

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Interesting hacker. Why attack the library not a business company??? I don’t think they will get money from the library. The library won’t care when will re-open. 😀

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@CarySun They're now targeting our knowledge and preventing us from reading all the IT books to defend ransomware 😉

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Interesting hacker. Why attack the library not a business company??? I don’t think they will get money from the library. The library won’t care when will re-open. 😀

For some groups, they are ransoming the data rather than the actual infrastructure itself. Others are two-pronged. Exfiltrate the data, ransom the infrastructure and then hold the data they got to ransom and threaten to release unless the organisation pays. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

I believe it is as mentioned about for extortion purposes. I don’t think many script kiddies are doing this. Mainly organised crime and bad state actors. The goal is mainly to get paid, although there is the disruption affect (in the case of state actors). Hopefully yet another wake up call. Just my humble opinion but such a long outage means that the DR plan was not well setup. Most likely due to lack of funds or not properly channelling funds. Speculation of course.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

I believe it is as mentioned about for extortion purposes. I don’t think many script kiddies are doing this. Mainly organised crime and bad state actors. The goal is mainly to get paid, although there is the disruption affect (in the case of state actors). Hopefully yet another wake up call. Just my humble opinion but such a long outage means that the DR plan was not well setup. Most likely due to lack of funds or not properly channelling funds. Speculation of course.

I’d agree. Funding will definitely be a factor as well

Comment