Four critical CVEs patched in VeeamONE (KB4508)

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Yesterday (Nov 6th, 2023) Veeam released a hotfix to mitigate four critical issues in VeeamONE (VONE).

KB4508: CVE-2023-38547 | CVE-2023-38548 | CVE-2023-38549 | CVE-2023-41723 (veeam.com)

Two of them score 9.8 and 9.9. One of those two allows for remote code execution on the SQL server used for VONE, while the other enables a non-privileged VONE portal user to gain the NTLM hash of the user that runs the reporting service.

Therefore it is absolutely mandatory to patch those ASAP.

Patching is fast and easy, as long as you’re on the most recent Version already (Veeam ONE 12 P20230314, 12.0.1.2591).

The patch comes as a zip of ~1,2MB in size.

It unpacks into a folder structure as shown. It consists of 8 files in total:

First of all you must check if the most recent edition is used. This can easily be done using PS:

Get-WmiObject -Class Win32_Product | where {$_.Name -like "Veeam ONE*"} | select Name, Version

I’ve been on the correct version already.

If not, you first have to patch using the regular patch and only afterwards apply the hotfix

Now we shall stop the following services:

• Veeam ONE Monitoring Service
  • Veeam ONE Reporting Service

This can of course be done on an administrative PS:

Now we can copy the files of the hotfix to their destination folders within the VONE server. Do this also in an administrative console as we write to protected folders.

Let’s assume we unzipped our hotfix inside c:\temp:

robocopy 'C:\temp\HFKB4508_12.0.1.2591' 'C:\Program Files\Veeam\Veeam ONE\Veeam ONE Reporter Server ' * /s

Mind the blank character behind the destination path before the quote. This is due to a bug in robocopy with path names having blanks inside. /s makes sure to grab the two subfolders as well.

Having copied the 8 files of the patch, you can start the services again:

Now it’s time to check if VONE still works:

Take note that the hotfix won’t be reflected in the version #.

We’re still on the most recent patch - but have applied the hotfix successfully. 😎

14 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

@Michael Melter good to know it won’t be reflected in the version #. Thank you for sharing.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

nice man @Michael Melter 

i have already posted in this topic ;)

Veeam One Multiple Vulnerabilities - CVE-2023-38547 | CVE-2023-38548 CVE-2023-38549 | CVE-2023-41723 | Veeam Community Resource Hub

to be safe I renamed the original files and then copied them for a quick rollback in case of failure 😎

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

I received word from the product management teams for VRO and Veeam ONE that it is safe to use these patches in VRO.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

nice man @Michael Melter 

i have already posted in this topic ;)

Veeam One Multiple Vulnerabilities - CVE-2023-38547 | CVE-2023-38548 CVE-2023-38549 | CVE-2023-41723 | Veeam Community Resource Hub

to be safe I renamed the original files and then copied them for a quick rollback in case of failure 😎

Sorry, mate. Seems I was just one hour ahead with my post… 😉

Good idea to backup the old files.

I had searched for a thread on the topic this morning but did not find any. Would have added my stuff as well. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Thanks for sharing.  Funny how we tend to end up with multiple topics on the same fixes. Happens to us all but shows we care for the community 😄

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Thanks for the heads up. Good to know the version number doesn’t change!

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Applied fix and no issues so far with my other hotfixes in place.  👍🏼

Userlevel 2

I received word from the product management teams for VRO and Veeam ONE that it is safe to use these patches in VRO.

Hi Randy, do you know if it is ok to update even though the VONE Agent is on 2498?
This is on a VRO server. I went ahead and did it and seems to be ok. Just wanted to confirm.

They may want to include the path in the KB for VRO - C:\Program Files\Veeam\Orchestrator\Veeam ONE Reporter Server. Took me a second 😅

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

I ended up with data collection issues in Veeam ONE after this hotfix. Working with support on it and will post back.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

I ended up with data collection issues in Veeam ONE after this hotfix. Working with support on it and will post back.

List of my updates on the:

v. 01.11.1880

11/8/2023 3:20:39 AM [warning]: Failed to assign vSphere Tags. See logs for more details.

on version 11.0.01379

I found this failure warning 

8/11/2023 02:00:02 [warning]: veeam-xxx: Failed to get data collection status - Do I need to open a support request?

8/11/2023 02:00:02 [info]: veeam-xxx: Finished collecting Veeam Backup & Replication data

8/11/2023 02:00:02 [info]: veeam-xxx: Data collection completed

on version 12.01.2591

11/7/2023 11:33:25 AM [warning]: Failed to assign vSphere Tags. See logs for more details.

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

It seems that Chris is the only one so far to have issues with the upgrade. My updates came through the forums. That is the best place for further questions and to consult with any questions or concerns.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Thank you for sharing! This will be very helpful to a lot of people.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

I too checked version numbers before and after and found that they didn’t change.  /shrugs

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

I have to revert this fix for now until they determine the issue I am having.  😒

Comment